Fifth Annual Bluegrass in the Garden: Music festival at Meerkerk Gardens from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug. 25, featuring Whidbey bands: Bayview Sound, Pearly Blue, Deadwood Revival and Money Creek Mining Co. Admission is $10. Children 15 and under are free. Dogs on leash welcome. Food and soft drinks available to buy. 3531 Meerkerk Lane, Greenbank. Call 360-678-1912 or 360-222-0121 or go to www.meerkerkgardens.org.
Fall arrangements: Floral arranger Eileen Oldham presents a ideas for fall arrangements at the Greenbank Garden Club’s meeting at 10 a.m. Sept. 6 at the Greenbank Progressive Clubhouse, Bakken and Firehouse roads. Oldham has done floral designs in England and Canada and is show judge for the U.S. Federation of Garden Clubs. The presentation is free and open to the public. Call Reece Rose at 360-579-5880 with questions.
Seattle Floating Homes Tour: Noon to 5 p.m. Sept. 9. Self-guided walking tour of 12 homes on east Lake Union. Tickets, $25 plus handling fee, can be purchased online at Brown Paper Tickets, www.brownpapertickets.com, by phone at 800-838-3006, or in person at 220 Nickerson St. in Fremont. Day-of-tour tickets for sale at 11 a.m. at the foot of E. Hamlin at Fairview Avenue E. Admission includes electric boat and bus shuttle transportation between the north and south ends of the tour. Comfortable slip-on shoes strongly recommended. No backpacks or strollers will be allowed in the homes. Call 206-388-8101 or email email@example.com, or go to the Seattle Floating Homes website, www.seattlefloatinghomes.org.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2012 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited. Call 425-257-8597 for reservations. For more about the arboretum, go to www.evergreenarboretum.com
• Sept. 15: “Fall and Winter Containers” with arboretum volunteer Dee Drake.
Interior design classes: Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs and Monika Krisofferson of Efficient Oranization NW offer the following classes. www.distinctiveinteriordesigns.net, 425-238-3678; or www.EfficientOrganizationNW.com, 425-220-8905.Free community events:
• Sept 15: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Declutter and Decorate, Live in Your Home, Love Your Home at Budget Blinds, 9915 Seventh Ave. SE, Everett.
• First Saturday of each month: 11a.m. to 2 p.m. Ask a Designer color consultations at Lynnwood Miller Paint, 18021 Alderwood Mall Pkwy., Ste 103. Register at 425 248-4950.
Everett Parks &Recreation: Register at 425-257-8300, ext. 2 , or www.everettwa.org. Classes taught at VanValey house, 2130 Colby Ave., Everett; 6 to 7:30 p.m., $25 (unless otherwise noted):
• Sept. 11: Purge the Paper, Conquer the Piles, Create Files.
Marysville Parks &Recreation: register 360-363-8400, www.marysvillewa.gov. classes taught at Marysville Library, 6120 Grove St. Classes from 6 to 7:30pm, $22 (unless otherwise noted):
• Sept. 20: Decluttering, Decisions and Downsizing for Seniors.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
Christianson’s Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com.
McAuliffe’s Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com.
Molbak’s Garden &Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com.
My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com.
Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; pinecreeknursery.com.
Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com.
Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net.
The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com.
Wight’s Home &Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com.
Got a gardening question? Consult a local master gardener at a public plant clinic. You can also call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April through September at 425-357-6010 or visit the Home &Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
• Arlington Hardware: 215 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 1.
• Edmonds Farmers Market: 100 block of Fifth Ave. N. in front of Log Cabin; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Oct. 6.
• Everett Farmers Market: Everett waterfront near Marina Village; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays through Sept. 30.
• Marysville Jenning Park Demonstration Garden: 6915 Armar Road, Marysville; 10 a.m to 1 p.m. Saturdays through Aug. 25.
• Monroe Evergreen State Fair: Fairgrounds, Monroe; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 23 to Sept. 3.
• Mukilteo Farmers Market: Mukilteo Lighthouse; 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays through Aug. 29.
• Snohomish Farmers Market: First and Union streets, Snohomish; 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursdays through Aug. 30.
Email items for the Home &Garden calendar to firstname.lastname@example.org.