Gifts &Greens Galore: The Washington Park Arboretum holiday sale is 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 6 and 7 at Graham Visitors Center, 2300 Arboretum Drive E., Seattle. Botanical decorations, holiday greens, handcrafted floral wreaths. Wreath and swag demonstration at noon Dec. 7. Also garden books, jewelry and seasonal food gifts. Parking and admission are free. Sales benefit the maintenance and education programs at Washington Park Arboretum. See www.arboretumfoundation.org.
Plant sale: The Snohomish Conservation District is taking orders for the 2014 Conservation Plant Sale that will take place on March 1 at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds in Monroe. Presale orders are being taken until Feb. 10. Plants include native trees, shrubs and ground covers. To see a copy of the brochure or to order online visit: www.snohomishcd.org/plant-sale or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arboretum tours: Reservations for custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum &Gardens are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com or email contactus@evergreen arboretum.com.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Saturdays at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more. Register by mail at P.O. Box 13014, Everett, WA 98206 or email email@example.com.
* Dec. 7: Arboretum gift-making workshop for kids, noon to 2 p.m., with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. Registration necessary.
* Jan. 18: Winter Pruning with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery.
* Feb. 15: Attracting Birds with Linda Woolsey, Snohomish County &National Audubon Society.
* March 15: New Plant Introductions for 2014 with Steve Smith, owner of Sunnyside Nursery.
* April 19: Rock Gardens with Ted Milam of Kayak Greens
* May 17: Great Plant Picks with Dode Carlson, Florence Stiles, Jean Savory and Ann Neupert, master gardeners.
* June 21: Pruning Rhododendrons &Azaleas with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery.
* July 19: Shade Gardening with Susie Egan, owner of Cottage Lake Gardens.
* July 26: Family Fun in the arboretum , 1 to 3 p.m. Family activities, music, games, art activities and food.
* Aug. 16: Designing for Late Summer Color with Marty Civarra, landscape designer and owner of Leaf Lessons
* Sept. 20: Rain Gardens with Zsofia Pasztor, owner of Innovative Landscape Technologies
* Oct. 18: Putting your Garden to Bed with John Marsh, master gardener .
* Nov. 15: Backyard Holiday Centerpieces with Bob Adrian of Flowers by Adrian
* Dec. 6: Holiday Workshop for Kids with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. For ages 6-to 12. Parents are welcome to participate.
Master gardener speaker series: The Snohomish County Master Gardener Foundation winter classes take place from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Fridays beginning Jan. 3 at Mukilteo Presbyterian Church Social Hall, 4515 84th St. SW, Mukilteo. A pass for the complete series is $85; single sessions are $20 at the door. See www.gardenlectures.com to register. Call 425-357-6010 or mail checks to: SCMGF, 8825 34th Ave. NE, Suite L, PMB No. 243, Marysville, WA 98271.
* Jan. 3: Great Plant Picks: What is New and How It Is Picked with Richie Steffen, curator of the Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden.
* Jan. 17: Hosting Wildlife in a (Mostly) Native Landscape with Monica Van der Vieren, county native plant steward.
* Jan. 31: Year-Round Benefits of Indoor plants with naturopath and botanical expert Jenn Dazey.
* Feb. 24: Tasty Heirlooms with Lisa Taylor, author of “Your Farm in the City.”
* Feb. 28: Clematis Made Easy with expert Laura Watson.
* March 14: Bugs: Eek, Squish, Splat with Ciscoe Morris.
* March 28: Designing an Edible Garden Lifestyle with garden designer Sue Goetz.
* April 11: Three Easy Steps to Fabulous Gardens and Containers with plant specialist Karen Chapman.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
Christianson’s Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
Falling Water Gardens: Free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
McAuliffe’s Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
Wreath decorating: 6 to 9 p.m. Dec. 6. $30 includes 20-inch wreath. Call for reservation.
Molbak’s Garden &Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
Wreath-making: Call for an appointment.
Plant Shack: 2829 164th St. SW, Lynnwood; 206-390-1422; www.plantshacknursery.com
Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
Wreath-making: Now through Dec. 17. Call to schedule a group or an individual appointment. Prices vary.
The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
Wight’s Home &Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
To submit an item for the Home &Garden calendar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.