Cooks’ Home Tour: The Assistance League of Everett is presenting a combo tour of six homes with a chef in each offering tastes from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 9. There will also be a raffle and a vendor market. Tickets are $25 in advance online by Aug. 30, and $30 at the door. See the website http://assistanceleagueofeverett.org or call 425-252-3011, ext. 113. Proceeds benefit Operation School Bell, which provides clothing for children in need in Snohomish County.
Arboretum tours: Reservations are now being taken for 2013 custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum &Gardens. The group tours are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com or email email@example.com.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more.
n Aug. 17: Native plants with Andy Sudkamp, a horticulturist and biology teacher. Meet at the arboretum entrance for a tour.
- Sept. 21: Fall/winter containers with Dee Drake, arboretum volunteer. Registration necessary. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
- Oct. 19: Putting your Garden to Bed with Wink Cushman, master gardener. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
- Nov. 16: Holiday natural centerpieces with Marylou Hart, arboretum board member and master gardener. Registration necessary.
- Dec. 7: Arboretum gift-making workshop for kids, noon to 2 p.m., with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. Registration necessary.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
- Christianson’s Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
- Falling Water Gardens: Free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
- McAuliffe’s Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
- Molbak’s Garden &Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
- My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
- Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
- Plant Shack: 2829 164th St. SW, Lynnwood; 206-390-1422; www.plantshacknursery.com/
- Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
- Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
- The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
- Wight’s Home &Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
Got a gardening question? Consult a local master gardener at a public plant clinic. If you have a plant with a problem or disease, bring in a fresh plant sample that, if possible, includes the diseased area, a transition area and a healthy area. Photos are also helpful. You can also call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. April through September, and from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. October through March at 425-357-6010 or visit the Home &Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
- Arlington Hardware: 215 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 7.
- Edmonds Farmers Market: 100 block of Fifth Ave. N. in front of Log Cabin; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Oct. 5.
- Everett Farmers Market: Everett Waterfront near Marina Village; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays through Sept. 29.
- Marysville Jenning Park Demonstration Garden: 6915 Armar Road, Marysville; 10 a.m to 1 p.m. Saturdays through Aug. 31.
- Monroe Evergreen State Fair: Fairgrounds, Monroe; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Aug. 22 to Sept. 2.
- Mukilteo Farmers Market: Mukilteo Lighthouse; 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays through Sept. 25 .
- Snohomish Farmers Market: First and Cedar streets, Snohomish; 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. through Aug. 29.
To submit an item for the Home &Garden calendar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.