Tulip Festival: The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival runs through April 30 with driving tours, bus tours and festival events all month long. Daffodils are already in bloom, but tulips take their own time. Check the festival website for interactive maps and festival events, www.tulipfestival.org, or go to the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SkagitValleyTulipFestival. You can pick up maps and a brochure of events at the festival office, 311 W. Kincaid St., Mount Vernon. You can also call 360-428-5959.
Camano Island plant sale: Mabana Flames Auxiliary annual plant sale will run from 9 a.m. to noon at Mabana Fire Station, 3651 S. Camano Drive, Camano Island. Plans are from the members’ gardens and include perenials, tomato plants, fuchsia baskets and annuals.
Potting Day: The Arlington Haggen Food and Pharmacy, 20115 74th Ave. NE, and the Arlington Garden Club will pot your plants for free 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 20. Bring your pots and buy plants from Haggen’s. Club members will also help you select plants to arrange your pots.
Pond classes: Falling Water Gardens offers free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
- April 18: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Night at the Garden class on low voltage lighting. Wine and snacks will be available.
- April 21: 1 to 2 p.m. Bubblers and spitters — water features for small spaces or less expensive projects.
- April 25: 7 to 9 p.m. Ladies Night at Falling Water Gardens. Learn to create a glass globe hanging garden. Wine and hors d’oeuvres.
- April 28: 1 to 2 p.m. Pond Building 101. Everything you need to know.
Natural yard care: The city of Everett, the Snohomish County WSU Extension and the Snohomish Conservation District present a series. Call the Snohomish Conservation District, 425-335-5634, ext. 112, for more information.
- April 24: Choosing Plants and Lawn Care, 6 to 8 p.m. at the Everett Library
- May 1: Smart Watering: Save Water and Time! 6 to 8 p.m. at the library
- May 4: Rain Garden Tour, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Meet at Washington Oakes, 1717 Rockefeller Ave., Everett, to take this walking tour.
“Year of Plenty”: Author Pastor Craig Goodwin will talk about the year his family existed only on local food amd materials, homegrown, homemade or used, 9:30 a.m. to noon April 20 at St. John’s Episcopal Church. Local refreshments will be served and there will be door prizes. St. John’s Episcopal Church is at 913 Second St., Snohomish. Call 360-568-4622 or go to www.stjohnsnohomish.org for more information.
Arboretum tours: Reservations are now being taken for 2013 custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum &Gardens. The group tours are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com or email email@example.com.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more.
- April 20: Hydrangeas with Wink Cushman, master gardener and past president of the arboretum
- May 18: Attracting birds to your back yard with Linda Woolsey, member of the local and National Audubon Society
- June 15: Dahlias with Dick Weakley, master gardener
- July 20: Summer care of Japanese maples with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery
- Aug. 17: Native plants with Andy Sudkamp, a horticulturist and biology teacher. Meet at the arboretum entrance for a tour.
- Sept. 21: Fall/winter containers with Dee Drake, arboretum volunteer. Registration necessary. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
- Oct. 19: Putting your Garden to Bed with Wink Cushman, master gardener. Meet at the arboretum entrance.
- Nov. 16: Holiday natural centerpieces with Marylou Hart, arboretum board member and master gardener. Registration necessary.
- Dec. 7: Arboretum gift-making workshop for kids, noon to 2 p.m., with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. Registration necessary.
Ask a Designer: Free color consult May 4 with Kelly DuByne at Ace Hardware, 303 91st Ave. NE, Lake Stevens. Call 425-334-7630 to sign up for 20-minute consultation.
Get Psyched about Color: Free brown-bag lunch session June 26 at Chapell Hill Fire Station 1825 S. Lake Stevens Road, Lake Stevens.
Everett Parks &Recreation: Classes from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Van Valey House, 2130 Colby Ave., Everett. Register at 425-257-8300, ext. 2, www.everettwa.org. 6 to 7:30pm $25.
- April 25: Paint Your Home Interior Like a Pro: Tips and Tricks to Make Your Color Sing
- May 14: Organize Your Time and Kids to Get Out the Door on Time
- May 23: Creative Ways to Infuse Color into Your Home
- June 4: Declutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage
Lake Stevens School District: Classes from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Educational Service Center, 12309 22nd St. NE. Lake Stevens. $20. Register at 425-335-1500, www.lkstevens.wednet.edu.
- April 23: DeClutter Your Home and Decrease Your Stress
- April 25: The Significance of Color
- May 9: Creating the Ultimate Outdoor Space
- May 21: DeClutter, Organize and Park in Your Garage
Marysville Parks &Recreation: Classes 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Marysville Library, 6120 Grove St. $22. Register at 360-363-8400, www.marysvillewa.gov.
- April 18: Creating the Ultimate Outdoor Space to Love Your Patio.
- May 23: The Significance of Color
- June 6: Paint Your Home Like a Pro
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
Christianson’s Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
McAuliffe’s Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
Molbak’s Garden &Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
Wight’s Home &Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
Got a gardening question? You can call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 425-357-6010 or go to the Home &Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
To submit an item for the Home &Garden calendar, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.