• Washington Garden Clubs Show: The flower show continues from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 8 at Holiday Inn, 3105 Pine St., Everett. Tickets are $10 at the door. Kids under 12 admitted free. There are 113 classes for horticulture competition, 21 classes for floral designs and four divisions for artistic crafts. The show also includes 12 educational exhibits and 21 youth classes, preschool through 17 years. Call Bea Randall at 360-435-3892 for more information.
• Gardening with native plants: Presentation by Rita Moore, a native plant steward, at 7 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Pilchuck Audubon meeting at the Everett Fighters Hall, 2411 Hewitt Ave. Free event is open to the public. For more information, go to www.pilchuckaudubon.org.
• Native plant work party: Help with invasive plant removal at the Edmonds Wildlife Habitat Native Plant Demonstration Garden at Willow Creek hatchery from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 10. The garden is on Pine Street and Highway 104 (Edmonds Way). For more information email Susie Schaefer email@example.com or call 425-771-8165.
• Northwest Orchid Society fall sale: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 10 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 11, Swanson’s Nursery, 9701 15th Ave. NW, Seattle. Free orchid display, repotting service for a fee, and hard-to-find orchids for sale by vendors plus a talk on orchids in Swanson’s seminar room at 10 a.m. Saturday. Volunteers will be on hand both days to answer orchid-related questions. See nwos.org for more information on the orchid society.
• Snohomish Garden Club auction: Garden items and services will offered in a silent auction at the next regular meeting at 7 p.m. Nov. 12 at the Snohomish Senior Center, 506 Fourth St., Snohomish. The meeting and auction is free and open to the public. Proceeds benefit garden club activities and services in the community. Contact Crystal Meadows, 206-910-4499, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the Snohomish Garden Club, go to www.snohomishgardenclub.com.
• Ooh La La With Ciscoe: 11 a.m. Nov. 13 at the Oak Harbor Garden Club’s regular meeting, which takes place 9 a.m. to noon. Space is limited so contact a garden club member or call Helene Valdez, 360-675-0392. Meeting is at First United Methodist Church, 1050 Ireland St., Oak Harbor.
• Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2012 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited. Call 425-257-8597 for reservations. Got to www.evergreenarboretum.com for more about the arboretum.
Nov. 10: “Holiday Centerpieces from Your Backyard” with Sandy Milam.
Dec. 8: “Winter Blooming Plants” with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery, Marysville.
• Interior design classes: Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs and Monika Krisofferson of Efficient Oranization NW offer the following classes. Check www.distinctiveinteriordesigns.net, 425-238-3678, or www.EfficientOrganizationNW.com, 425-220-8905.
Free community events:
First Saturday of each month: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Ask a Designer color consultations at Lynnwood Miller Paint, 18021 Alderwood Mall Pkwy., Ste 103. Register at 425-248-4950.
Everett Parks &Recreation: Register at 425-257-8300, ext. 2, or www.everettwa.org. Classes taught at VanValey house, 2130 Colby Ave., Everett; 6 to 7:30 p.m., $25 (unless otherwise noted):
Nov. 13: Loving Your Small Home.
Dec. 13: Furniture University: Quality, Placement and Styles to Make Your Home Wow.
• Marysville Parks &Recreation: register 360-363-8400, www.marysvillewa.gov. classes taught at Marysville Library, 6120 Grove St. Classes from 6 to 7:30pm, $22 (unless otherwise noted):
Nov. 8: Organize Your Kitchen for the Holidays.
Nov. 15: Creative Ways to Infuse Color into Your Home.
Dec. 20: The Significance of Color.
&bull Lake Stevens School District: Register at 425-335-1500 or www.lkstevens.wednet.edu. Classes taught at Educational Service Center 12309 22nd St. NE, Lake Stevens. 6 to 7:30 p.m., $20.
Nov. 8: Get Psyched About Color
• Master gardener program: The WSU-Snohomish County Extension Master Gardener application deadline for the 2013 training class is Nov. 15. Training includes 80 hours of classroom and workshop instruction every Thursday from January through March as well as online instruction. Classes are held at the Extension Office at 600 128th St., at McCollum Park, Everett. Tuition is $245 plus a volunteer commitment of 50 hours each year for two years For information and an application, go to snohomish.wsu.edu, call 425-357-6010 or e-mail email@example.com.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
• Christianson’s Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com.
• McAuliffe’s Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com.
• Molbak’s Garden &Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com.
• My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com.
• Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; pinecreeknursery.com.
• Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com.
• Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net.
• The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com.
• Wight’s Home &Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com.
Got a gardening question?
You can call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 425-357-6010 or visit the Home &Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
To submit an item for the Home &Garden calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.