By Sam McManis McClatchy Newspapers
So much attention is paid to the fatty foods and processed sugars we eat that many of us might forget that what we drink also contributes to weight gain.
So sit down with a tall, cold glass and take our sparkling quiz on beverages.
1. According to government figures, what percentage of an American’s daily calories consumed comes from drinks?
a. 22 percent
b. 31 percent
c. 48 percent
2. What percentage of the added sugar we consume comes from beverages?
a. 25 percent
b. 50 percent
c. 75 percent
3. How many ounces of sugar-sweetened beverages does the average American consume daily?
4. How many ounces of water does the average American consume daily?
5. How many calories are in 8 ounces of Juicy Juice white grape fruit juice?
6. How many calories are in 1 cup of raw white grapes?
ANSWERS: 1: a; 2: b; 3: a; 4: c; 5: b; 6: c
Sources: tuftshealthletter.com; www.calorieking.com