Fish tacos offer a huge bang for not a lot of work.
To make fish tacos at home, I like to grill a chunk of tuna, chop it up and toss it on a soft tortilla. Then I add chopped cabbage, pico de gallo and shredded cheese. Trader Joe’s makes fish tacos easy with its affordable frozen fish. Its mango and papaya salsa also goes great on a taco.
The most important part, though, is the perfect sauce. Here’s my favorite, adapted from allrecipes.com.
Fish taco sauce
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeno, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (ideally freshly ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
Combine all ingredients except lime. Stir well. Add lime until sauce is slightly runny. Let sit briefly for flavors to meld. This sauce keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.