By Sam Mcmanis McClatchy Newspapers
All you Homer Simpson disciples will be heartened to know that beer has its nutritious aspects. Everything in moderation, of course. Try our quiz on beer:
1. According to researchers in Heidelberg, Germany, beer has antioxidant qualities — specifically the flavonoids xanthohumol and isoxanthohumol. What percentage of the flavonoids come from barley?
A. 92 B. 80 C. 67
2. The Council of Scientific Research in Madrid, Spain, found that a person’s immunity from illness increases after how many days of moderate beer drinking?
A. 4 B. 14 C. 30
3. Beverage World magazine reports that a Spanish brewer has launched a beer, Ambar Cerveza, said to have the highest fiber content on the beer market. How much fiber is in a 12-ounce bottle?
A. 7.5 grams B. 10 grams C. 17.1 grams
4. A Tufts University study says silicate (formed by the barley husk) found in beer has a strong association with increased bone mineral density. After how many beers did drinkers show a greater bone density in the hip than nondrinkers?
A. 2 B. 4 C. 6
5. Bard’s Tale Beer, a gluten-free option for beer drinkers made with sorghum instead of barley and wheat, contains 155 calories in a 12-ounce bottle. According to calorie-counter.net, how many more calories is that than in a 12-ounce can of regular Budweiser?
A. 80 B. 9 C. 0