Splash: Snohomish County spray parks have extended summer hours. Stay cool during the hot weekend weather:
- Willis Tucker Park, 6705 Puget Park Drive, Snohomish
- North Lynnwood Park, 18510 44th Ave. W
- Daleway Park, 19015 64th Ave. W, Lynnwood
- Forest Park, 802 E. Mukilteo Blvd., Everett, will remain open through Sept. 22.
Big fish, little poles: Fish for pink and coho salmon during a kid pole fishing derby on Saturday in Snohomish. There are divisions for men, women and children, but everybody has to use a kid pole. Food, prizes and more. Find out more here.
Touch trucks: Put your kids in the driver’s seats of big rigs, police, fire and other city vehicles during Marysville’s Touch-A-Truck on Saturday. They can honk the horn, set off sirens and more. It’s free. More information here.
Wine: The last “Sunsets in Snohomish Wine Walk” of the year is from 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Taste regional wines, eat and shop in the city’s historical district. Tickets $10 to 13. Find out more here.
Pet adoptions: Help an animal find a new home at Wags and Whiskers from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday. Local animal shelters and rescues team up for the annual event, held this year at the Snohomish Station shopping center on Bickford Avenue. More information here.
Football: Watch the Seahawks’ home opener against San Francisco at the Historic Everett Theatre on Sunday. There will be a catered lunch from Cravin Cajun for $10, call ahead for catering reservations. Beer and wine available. Kickoff is 5:30 p.m. More information here.
Glass pumpkins: Browse more than 2,000 hand-blown glass pumpkins at the Northwest Glass Pumpkin patch on Saturday. The event is at the Edmonds Conference Center. Find out more here.
Birds: Celebrate the arrival of the second-largest roost of Vaux’s Swifts at the free 2013 Swift Night Out on Saturday. The event includes a lecture, kids’ activities and more. Proceeds of a spaghetti dinner and dessert benefit Monroe Vaux’s Swift programs. More information here.
Mexican Independence Day: Here are some of the celebrations happening this weekend.
- Celebrate Mexican culture, art, music, dance and food at the free Seattle Fiestas Patrias on Saturday and Sunday. There will be live mariachi music, a children’s soccer clinic, arts, food, games and more. More.
- Hear stories and live music from performer Marco Cortes at a Mukilteo Library celebration on Saturday. There will be crafts and refreshments after the performance. Call 425-493-8202 for details.
Art outdoors: Celebrate the arts in the open air during Arlington’s Art in the Park on Saturday and Sunday. The event at Legion Park, 102 North Olympic Ave. Find out more here.
Cars: See classic racecars at the Arlington Drag Strip Reunion Car Show on Saturday. The event, held at the Arlington Airport, benefits local charities. Find out more here.