“Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol”
Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) goes into action when the IMF is shut down.
If the goal of the latest big-screen version of the television series is to make the most eye-popping, bone-shaking, heart-pounding installment yet, then there’s only one thing to say: Mission accomplished. Whether Cruise is running at top speed, dangling from a building or trying to rally his frustrated team, he brings confidence, charm and energy to the role. He’s the fuse that lights every explosive moment.
The supporting actors are just as impressive. Jeremy Renner brings cold and professional caution to the spy team and shows such a grasp of the spy role that he could easily take over the franchise should Cruise decide to retire. Paula Patton proves that a spy can be beautiful and dangerous.
• “All The Years Combine: The DVD Collection”: The Grateful Dead is featured in the 14-DVD box set.
• “The Presidents”: The A&E production looks at the men who have lived in the White House.
• “Frozen Planet”: The series is narrated by David Attenborough.
• “Bill Moyers: Capitol Crimes”: The documentary looks at politics, greed, and the buying and selling of influence at the highest levels of power.
• “America Revealed”: A look at how America works.
• “Secret War”: The 13-part series about covert warriors who went behind enemy lines during World War II.
• “Shame”: A man (Michael Fassbender) shuns intimacy with women but feeds his desires with a compulsive addiction to sex.
• “NHL: Road to Victory — The ‘94 New York Rangers”: Story of the team’s 1993-1994 Stanley Cup season.
Rick Bentley, The Fresno Bee (Fresno, Calif.)