Fair days: Head to the Evergreen State Fair for arts and crafts, carnival rides, concerts and more. We’ll list a few fun things, but you can find the full schedule here. Here’s what’s happening at the fair this week:
- “Senior Citizens Day” means free gate admission for those 62 and older.
- Draft horse and mule extravaganza with Warm Beach Vaulters equestrian acrobats, 5 p.m., Arena.
- Fried chicken contest, 6 p.m., Snohomish County Agriculture tent.
- On “Twosday Tuesday,” general admission is $2 before 2 p.m.
- Water balloon contest, 1:15 p.m., animal judging arena.
- Texting contest, 3 and 6:30 p.m., prizes. Listen to fair PA announcer who will give number and sentence to text.
- “Family Day” means up to six family members will be admitted together for just $30.
- Bubble gum-blowing contest, 2:45 p.m., Courtyard Stage.
- Evergreen Idol singing contest winner opens for 3 Doors Down concert, 7 p.m., Grandstand.
- On “Kids Day,” ages 15 and younger will be admitted free.
- Pie-eating contest, age categories, 2:45 p.m., Courtyard Stage.
- Sow and litter display, all day, swine arena.
- “Armed Forces Day” means first responders and military personnel will be admitted free with ID.
- Armed Forces Day ceremony, 2 p.m., Courtyard Stage.
- Opening night of the Pro-West Rodeo, 7 p.m., Arena.
Jetty Island: If you haven’t visited yet, now is a good time. Jetty Islands Days will end Sept. 3. The ferry to the island departs every day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. It’s a great place to play with your kids or just sit back with a good book and relax. Or watch the kiteboarders who like to play off the coast. Get details here.
Space: Learn about the size and scale of the universe, stars and other celestial bodies at Astronomy for Everyone on Thursday. An astrophysicist will use hands-on activities and visuals for the event, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Lynnwood Library. Call 425-778-2148 for details.
Dance: Before you see and even ride planes at Vintage Aircraft Weekend, dress up in period costume and enjoy food, live music and swing-dance lessons at the event’s Big Band Dinner and Dance on Friday. Tickets are limited. More information here.
Music Here’s what is happening locally this week.
- 7 p.m. – The Oak Ridge Boys, Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Tickets $22 to $32. More.
- Noon to 1 p.m. – Toy Box Trio, classical music with a carnival flair, Fifth Avenue S. and Maple Street, Edmonds. Free.
- 7:30 p.m – Brantley Gilbert, Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Tickets $32 to $55. More.
- 6 to 8 p.m. – Sly Mr. Y, rock from the ’70s and ’80s, The Forum in the Mill Creek Town Center, 15310 Main St. More.
- 7 p.m. – Swing: Shoreline Rocks, grand piano, Shoreline City Hall Courtyard, 17500 Midvale Ave. N. More.
- 7:30 p.m. – 3 Doors Down, Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Tickets $32 to $55. More.
- 5 to 6 p.m. – Alma y Azucar, diverse Latin standards, Fifth Avenue S. and Maple Street, Edmonds. Free.
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Carlos Cascante y su Tumbao, salsa and jazz, Port Gardner Landing, 1700 W. Marine View Drive, Everett. More.
- 7:30 p.m. – REO Speedwagon, Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Tickets $22 to $45. More.
- 6 p.m. – Dave Matthews Band, Gorge Amphitheatre, 754 Silica Road NW, George. Ticket prices vary. More.
- 7:30 p.m. – MercyMe, Evergreen State Fairgrounds, 14405 179th Ave. SE, Monroe. Tickets $25 to $37. More.
- “Wreck-it Ralph” Mukilteo Movies in the Park, 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Rosehill Community Center, 304 Lincoln Ave.
- “The Princess Bride” PEMCO Movies at Magnuson Park, 7 p.m. Thursday, Warren G. Magnuson Park Athletic Fields, 7400 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle. Pre-movie seating $5.