It’s time for the fall flip, that easing-into-winter transition. Ditch the pastels and bring in the jewel tones. Interior designer Kelly DuByne says go neutral with furniture, flooring and walls, and accent with pops of color. DuByne took us to Kimberly McIlrath at Faded Elegance in Snohomish to demonstrate, using the shop’s one-of-a-kind vintage pieces and newer reproductions. For this fall do-over, DuByne adds cool colors, emerald and cobalt, to warmer taupes, creams, tobacco brown and, uh, shades of gray.
1. Kimberly McIlrath found this 1930s Parisian-style ottoman, gave it a creamy paint job, and recovered it in a textury charcoal and cream chevron stripe. It’s $98.98.
2. Pick a perch for a pair of vintage chalkware quails in deep emerald tinged with cobalt. The twosome’s $29.50.
3. Aidan Gray repro metal stencils bring in the color (verdigris). We’d prefer them on a wall or a shelf, though; $12.98 each. And P.S.: “Repro” is designer-speak for something not really old.
4. A well-traveled vintage valise in cobalt metal with brass fittings can still be packed with your stuff, or stand it upright as a funky table; $32, dings and dents included.
5. Gray weathered-looking wide laminate planks from Quick Step’s Reclame Collection are pre-aged with a grain you can actually feel. It’s $4.50 a square foot and available at Completely Floored in Everett.
6. The, er, elephant in the living room, a stout pine 1800s hand-carved column, doesn’t usually languish on the settee, but rather stands sentinel in a corner, bearing an objet. If you have room, it’s $450.98.
• French 16th-century settee, repainted and recovered, $600.
• French burlap Aidan Gray grain sack, $48.
• Bamboo Victorian plant stand, $46.
• Mirrored plateau with glass cloche from Two’s Company, $100.
• Vintage apothecary bottles, $24 each.
• Two’s Company old books recovered in heavy stock, $16.98 each.
• Kelly DuByne, Distinctive Interior Designs, Lake Stevens, 425-238-3678, www.distinctiveinteriordesigns.net/.
• Kimberly McIlrath, Faded Elegance, 1116 First St., Snohomish, 360-568-5333, www.fadedelegance.us