By Cory Graff
Some who have visited the FHC in the last few months may have seen an unusual art piece in the courtyard between the two hangars. The “sculpture” is actually the right wing of a North American F-86 fighter. It’s an appropriate object for the area. From 1951 to 1968, portions of Paine Field served as an Air Defense Command (ADC) facility. At Paine Air Force Base, jet interceptors stood at the ready, on constant alert status to protect the region from Cold War threats. The first all-weather ADC aircraft to be based at Paine was the radar-equipped F-86D, nicknamed the “Sabre Dog” by pilots.