VANCOUVER, Wash. — A chemical spill at Skyview High School in Vancouver, Wash., sent two adults and seven students to a hospital to be checked after they experienced trouble breathing. One student has been arrested.
Vancouver Public Schools spokeswoman Pat Mattison told The Columbian that a fire department hazmat crew cleaned up a mixture of bleach and ammonia Thursday in a classroom. Mattison said a student brought the mixture and was showing it to another student when it spilled on the floor. Mixing bleach and ammonia can produce toxic fumes.
Clark County sheriff’s Sgt. Fred Neiman said detectives arrested a 14-year-old freshman student for investigation of second-degree assault and reckless endangerment. The student was taken to juvenile detention. Neiman said no one else is being sought.
Hospital staffers say all nine people brought in for observation were later discharged.