1 in custody amid Central Conn. State lockdown

NEW BRITAIN, Conn. — Police responding to reports of an armed man swept through Central Connecticut State University on Monday, taking one person into custody three hours into a schoolwide lockdown.

Mayor Timothy O’Brien confirmed that one person was in custody. He was scheduled to hold a news conference with other officials later Monday to discuss the incident.

The university declared a campus emergency at about noon Monday amid reports that someone had been spotted on campus with what was believed to be a gun, said University spokesman Mark McLaughlin.

Jordan Governale, a 20-year-old junior from Farmington, said he walked by a man carrying a backpack and with a sword and sheath strapped to his back. The man was wearing a mask, camouflage pants, knee pads and a vest resembling body armor, Governale said.

A minute later, he said, he saw police.

“At first I thought it was a Halloween costume. But after I saw the cops I thought it was some sort of threat,” he said. “It’s pretty scary. It’s pretty strange, unexpected.”

The lockdown was lifted shortly after 3 p.m., and school officials said students had been safely evacuated from the residential building where police searched for the possible gunman. University spokeswoman Janice Palmer said that the students who had been inside James Hall were moved to another building for questioning.

Classes were canceled for the rest of the day at the school, which has more than 12,000 students on a 182-acre campus south of Hartford.

Mayor O’Brien said state police and departments from several surrounding towns were called in to assist with the search. The response included armored vehicles, SWAT and dog teams.

Morgan Podlisny, an 18-year-old freshman who lives in the adjacent Seth North residence hall, said students were told to stay inside. She and her friends watched the situation unfold next door.

“Our whole dorm was freaking out,” she said. “At first, there were a lot of cops there rushing in with guns.

Kiara Gupton, a 21-year-old junior said she could see SWAT teams and dogs.

“I’m really just upset about this,” she said, recalling last year’s deadly school shooting in Newtown, about 30 miles away. “It’s scary. … To see all these SWAT teams outside is really just overwhelming.”

Two New Britain schools near the campus were also locked down as a precaution, according to the superintendent’s office.

More in Local News

Snohomish man, 63, missing from home since Monday

He left without his keys, wallet and phone, saying something about going to “the river.”

Firefighters come to the rescue and give mom new stroller

Donations to the Good Neighbor Program covered the $143.20 cost.

Case unresolved: The noose at an Edmonds construction site

Though two were fired over comments about it, police were unable to determine who put it there.

To get drug money, Lynnwood man says he cut 911 wires

Those wires happened to be the ones used by 911 dispatchers, but emergency services weren’t affected.

February trial set for suspect in deadly Marysville shooting

There had been questions about Wayne Alpert’s mental health.

Fatal car crash reported on Highway 92 near Lake Stevens

The 3 p.m. accident and investigation stopped traffic in both directions near Machias Road.

Motorcyclist killed in crash had high level of THC

A motorcyclist had more than eight times the legal limit… Continue reading

Front Porch

EVENTS Teen Night at the Schack The next free Teen Night is… Continue reading

Police: Driver threatens pedestrian, ends up in drug bust

Meth, cocaine and heroin were found in his car, along with a loaded pistol and cash, police say.

Most Read