TACOMA — The Pierce County prosecutor has filed first-degree murder charges against two Tacoma brothers — ages 16 and 14 — accused of killing a third teen in their home.
The 16-year-old charged with murder and robbery will be prosecuted as an adult in last Friday’s killing of 15-year-old Hector Hernandez-Valdez. Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said the 14-year-old is charged with first-degree murder.
The older boy pleaded not guilty Monday in Superior Court, where bail was set at $2 million.
Prosecutors allege the victim came to the brothers’ home to meet with the older boy, who armed himself with a knife and tried to rob the victim of marijuana and cash. As those two teens fought, prosecutors say the 14-year-old joined in, stabbing the victim with “a large nail.”
The brothers’ mother returned home to find blood and a dead body. She told police the boys told her they were cleaning up “chili.” She left to report the dead body. When she and police returned, the body had been moved to a recycling bin.