2 new Ebola deaths confirmed in West Africa

CONAKRY, Guinea — Two new deaths from the deadly Ebola disease were announced Monday by health authorities in Guinea and Sierra Leone, raising fears that the first outbreak in West Africa is not yet under control. The new fatalities are far from where the outbreak began.

There are also several other deaths suspected to be from Ebola that have not been confirmed by tests.

The death announced Monday in Sierra Leone is the country’s first official confirmed case, though it had been on high alert ever since the disease appeared in Guinea.

Guinea said Monday that at least one new death emerged in Telimele, 270 kilometers (167 miles) from the region where the outbreak first occurred. Guinea also has eight new suspected Ebola deaths. Medics are observing 86 people because they are suspected to have been exposed to the deadly disease, according to Guinean health officials. In addition to the death, two deaths suspected to be Ebola are in Telimele and and six are in Macenta, at the epicenter of the crisis.

Guinea has had most of the 170 deaths from Ebola in the current outbreak in West Africa. There have been a few deaths in Liberia and now at least one in Sierra Leone.

The case in Sierra Leone was announced on radio Monday by the Director of Disease Prevention and Control, Dr. Amara Jambai. He said the confirmed Ebola death was near Sierra Leone’s border with Guinea.

More than 10 other deaths suspected to be from Ebola are in that area of Sierra Leone, according to a local newspaper. A medical team has been sent to the Kenema District to try to contain any further spread of the disease.

The new cases are a setback to the efforts to control the Ebola outbreak.

There is no cure and no vaccine for Ebola, which causes a high fever and severe bleeding. The current outbreak is unusual for West Africa as the disease is typically found in the center and east of the continent.

Ebola can incubate for up to 21 days before an infected person shows any symptoms. Doctors like to wait 42 days — two incubation periods — after the last known infection before declaring an outbreak over.

The mortality rate for this outbreak thus far is close to 70 percent, according to the World Health Organization.


Macaulay reported from Freetown, Sierra Leone.

More in Local News

Former Monroe cop loses appeal on sex crimes conviction

Once a highly respected officer, he was found guilty of secretly videotaping his kids’ babysitter.

Derrick “Wiz” Crawford, 22, is a suspect in the homicide of his roommate. (Edmonds Police Department)
Roommate suspected in Edmonds killing found hiding in closet

Police had been searching for him for 10 days before locating him at a house in Everett.

New leaders coming to county, state political parties

Hillary Moralez of Bothell takes over as chair for the Snohomish County Democratic Party.

Young woman missing from Mukilteo found safe

She called her parents and told them she was at a museum in Seattle.

Camano Island man gets 18 years for role in drug ring

He was convicted of helping lead a drug distribution network in four Washington counties.

Lake Stevens man missing since beginning of January

Jason Michael Knox White hasn’t used his credit card or withdrawn money from his bank since then.

Navy to put filter in Coupeville’s contaminated water system

Chemicals from firefighting foam was found in the town’s drinking water.

Mom and brother turn in suspect in Stanwood robberies

The man is suspected of robbing the same gas station twice, and apologizing to the clerk afterward.

Nichols Brothers Boat Builders apprentice Janette Alhanati (left) and journeyman Kurt Warwick construct wall panels for an upcoming boat project with Linblad Expedition Holdings. A federal grant from the Northwest Workforce Council will allow Nichols Brothers to add more apprentices to its workforce starting in January 2018.
Whidbey Island boatbuilder gets hiring boost

The grant from the Northwest Workforce Council will help expand the company’s apprenticeship program.

Most Read