4 children taken to hospital after school bus overheats

MUKILTEO — Four children were taken to the hospital Monday after they were burned when a school bus overheated in Mukilteo.

It happened about 1:30 p.m. near the 7800 block of the Mukilteo Speedway.

The children were third-graders from Fairmount Elementary School on their way back to school after a field trip, district spokesman Andy Muntz said.

The bus has its engine in the rear, and the radiator sits underneath seats in the back, Muntz said. The radiator somehow quit working and started spraying steam and antifreeze into the bus.

The children sitting in that area of the bus suffered minor burns to their legs. They were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Muntz said. School district employees rode in the ambulances with them, and the school principal met them at the hospital.

No one was seriously injured.

More in Local News

Agencies launch coordinated response to an opioid ‘emergency’

Health workers, law enforcement agencies and emergency managers are responding as they might to a disaster.

Jordan Evers distributes coffee Sunday afternoon during the annual community meal at Carl Gipson Senior Center in Everett on November 19, 2017. (Kevin Clark / The Herald)
Firefighters serve Thanksgiving meals at Carl Gipson center

The next two feasts at the senior center in Everett will be Thanksgiving Day and Dec. 3.

Hiker rescued on Boulder River trail after 15-foot fall

She was reported to have possible leg and rib fractures.

Alleged philanderer attacked with hammer near Everett

His girlfriend had accused him of cheating and allegedly called on another man to confront him.

Snohomish County Council passes a no-new-taxes budget

The spending plan still funds the hiring of five new sheriff’s deputies and a code enforcement officer.

Darrington School Board race might come down to a coin flip

With a one-vote difference, a single ballot in Skagit County remains to be counted.

Search ends for 3 US sailors missing in Navy aircraft crash

Eight people were rescued quickly and are in good condition.

A seat at the table for everyone

Sultan’s community dinner ensures no one has to dine alone on Thanksgiving

Most Read