Accused cannibal found guilty but not criminally responsible

BALTIMORE — Alexander Kinyua on Monday pleaded guilty to charges that he killed a family friend and ate his heart and part of his brain, as a Harford County, Md., judge agreed that the defendant was not criminally responsible for the act because of mental illness.

Kinyua, 22, faced first-degree murder and weapon charges in the 2012 death of Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie. Circuit Judge Stephen M. Waldron committed him to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

A family friend and the victim’s uncle testified about how the victim’s death affected the family. Kinyua did not address the court.

Percess Veronica Mattison, the family friend, described Kodie, a Ghanaian national who had studied in Maryland, as “a godly young man” whose goal was to become educated at the highest level possible and then return to his home country.

“He did not talk as a dreamer, but as an achiever,” Mattison said.

Prosecutors said that after consulting with an outside psychiatric expert, they had to concede that Kinyua was not criminally responsible for his actions at the time of the murder because of his mental health problems.

“We really had no evidence, no testimony or opinion from other medical personnel that would dispute the findings of the doctors” at Perkins, Harford County State’s Attorney Joseph I. Cassilly said after the hearing.

Waldron said he accepted Kinyua’s plea based on the information provided by both the defense and prosecution.

“My heart breaks for you,” he told Kodie’s family. “I’m very, very sorry.”

Kinyua’s lawyer, Donald Daneman, declined to comment Friday through an employee who answered the phone at his office.

Kinyua is being held at Clifton T. Perkins Hospital in Jessup. In December, he pleaded guilty but not criminally responsible in Baltimore Circuit Court to beating a fellow Morgan State University student with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire in a separate case.

The beating victim, Joshua Ceasar, is suing the university, claiming officials failed to protect him and ignored warning signs that Kinyua was mentally unstable.

Kodie’s death occurred days after Kinyua was released on bail in Ceaser’s beating.

More in Local News

District takes steps to secure school campuses

Safety measures have been enhanced at Hawthorne and Silver Firs elementary schools in Everett.

Hard work is paying off for Mariner High senior

Mey Ly has excelled in school since moving here from Cambodia; she also serves as an intrepreter.

County under flood watch; back-to-back storms promise heavy rain

The National Weather Service issued a flood watch Monday for… Continue reading

1 arrested after SWAT team moves in on Marysville house

The incident was connected to an earlier robbery.

Yes to turn signal — eventually

Adding a right-turn signal at 112th St. and 7th Ave. is turning out to be a bit more complicated.

No easy exit from Smokey Point shopping complex

There’s just no easy exit on this one. A reader called in… Continue reading

Is the state Transportation Commission irrelevant?

A report says the citizen panel often is ignored, and its duties overlap with the Transportation Department.

Front Porch

EVENTS Free Thanksgiving feast in Edmonds Annie’s Community Kitchen serves a free… Continue reading

Most Read