Appliance caused Everett auto shop fire

A fire at an Everett auto repair shop on Saturday night was started by a malfunctioning dehumidifier, Everett Fire Marshal Rick Robinson said Monday.

The fire was reported about 5 p.m. in the back room of the business in the 10100 block of Fourth Avenue W.

Flames from the appliance had reached a nearby propane tank, Robinson said. That caused the tank to automatically release a relief valve.

“That intensified the fire, but we had an early warning, and the crews did a good job,” Robinson said.

Damage was estimated at $15,000. No injuries were reported.

View Auto shop fire, 1-12-2013 in a larger map

More in Local News

‘Come talk to me. Don’t jump, come talk to me’

State Patrol trooper Yaroslav Holodkov just happened to be driving by when he saw a suicidal man.

Marysville educators reach out to a newly traumatized school

Several affected by shootings in 2014 offered to talk with counterparts in Eastern Washington.

Serial killer wannabe admits trying to kill man she met online

She told police she planned to rip out her victim’s heart and eat it — and would continue killing.

Hurry! Target will take your old car seat, but not for long

The seats will be taken apart and the various materials recycled.

Sheriff’s Office receives national recognition

Sheriff accepts award “notable achievements in the field of highway safety” over the past year.

Edmonds-Woodway High School briefly locked down

A student tried to stop a fight and a boy, 16, responded by threatening the student with a knife.

Study considers making it legal to grow marijuana at home

The Liquor and Cannabis Board is considering two scenarios for allowing a minimal number of plants.

Minutes mattered the day Pat Ward was brought back to life

The Mukilteo police and fire chaplain died at breakfast. She got a second chance thanks to a waitress.

Hot weather takes toll on young Christmas trees

The effect is likely to be felt in the years to come when they would have been cut.

Most Read