Armed Monroe man surrenders to SWAT team

MONROE — A SWAT team was called to Monroe on Wednesday morning after an armed man reportedly made threats to hurt himself and police.

The man, 23, called a crisis hotline about 5:50 a.m. from his home along 160th Street SE, Monroe police spokeswoman Debbie Willis said.

The man indicated he was armed and suicidal, she said. Police also got on the line, and the man fired a shot in his home and told them he was serious.

Officers went to the home, and the man then indicated he would harm anyone who came to the door, Willis said.

The North Sound Metro Special Weapons and Tactics Team, which includes Monroe police officers, came to the scene. The team eventually was able to get the man on the phone.

About 11:30 a.m., the man came outside and surrendered, Willis said.

He was taken into custody without further incident. No one was hurt.

More in Local News

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

High-speed, tire-shredding Marysville chase ends in capture

The 28-year-old driver is now being held for investigation of more than 25 criminal counts.

Election results for Snohomish County school districts

Updated 2/16: Here are the returns for Tuesday’s special election ballot measures.

School levies still passing in 3 districts after latest tally

In the initial count, ballot measures in Lake Stevens, Marysville and Snohomish had been losing.

7-hour police standoff near Lynnwood ends with surrender

Deputies seized a rifle, pellet gun and knife at the scene.

Front Porch

EVENTS Learn about the microgrid Snohomish County PUD plans an open house… Continue reading

Ban on bump-fire stocks makes progress in State House

The Senate approved the bill but would need to vote on any changes made by the House.

We might see snow in the lowlands this weekend

Snow in the mountain passes will definitely be deep, forecasters say.

In journal, Everett suspect had picked a date for school attack

The Everett teen reportedly planned attack as tribute to other mass killers. His bail is $5 million.

Most Read