Arsonist pleads not guilty to child molestation

EVERETT — A Snohomish man convicted of trying to burn down abortion clinics in the early 1980s was back in court Wednesday, pleading not guilty to a child molestation charge.

Curtis Beseda, 58, entered the plea during a brief hearing in Snohomish County Superior Court.

Police say he is the man who groped an 11-year-old girl inside the Snohomish Fred Meyer store on Jan. 27. The incident was caught on store surveillance video.

Deputy prosecutor Andrew Alsdorf on Wednesday asked that Beseda remain locked up at the county jail in Everett unless he can post bail, which was previously set at $250,000.

Judge Marybeth Dingledy let the bail stand and scheduled Beseda’s trial for late March.

Beseda was sleeping in his minivan in a Pierce County parking lot when he was arrested Monday. He reportedly said he knew that he was wanted on a warrant, but was unaware of the charge.

In court Wednesday, he told the judge that he was just learning that he’d been charged with first-degree child molestation.

An 11-year-old girl reported that a stranger groped her while she was waiting for her father outside the store restroom. Prosecutors say several people identified Beseda from the video footage.

In the 1980s he was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison after being convicted of arsons at abortion clinics in Everett and Bellingham. After bouncing in and out of custody on parole violations Beseda spent much of the last decade cycling through jails and the state mental hospital for a string of misdemeanor offenses. Those include harassment and criminal trespass cases involving churches. He also was charged, but acquitted at trial, of a 2004 reckless burning in Snohomish.

Scott North: 425-339-3431, north@heraldnet.com

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read