As temperatures cool, be fire-safe

EVERETT — In Snohomish County, colder temperatures often are accompanied by a rash of household fires caused by candles, heaters and fireplaces.

Local firefighters are asking folks to take a few safety precautions to prevent warm holiday celebrations from ending in soot and tears.

Any electrical heating device needs three feet of space around it, Everett Fire Marshal Rick Robinson said. That includes wall heaters and space heaters. Some devices can switch on by themselves if temperatures drop.

“It’s just something to be very careful of,” Robinson said.

Candles should never be left unattended, and they should be kept out of reach of children, Robinson said. Fireplaces also need constant supervision while in use, and annual cleaning.

In case of winter storms, people should keep warm clothing in places they can find in the dark, the fire marshal said.

People should never use barbecues or other outdoor cooking devices to warm up their home, he said. That can cause deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com.

Stay safe

•Brush up on how to keep house pipes from freezing. Never warm frozen pipes with a torch or lighter. Don’t leave frozen pipes unattended, in case they burst.

•Have a plan for power outages, including a stock of batteries and nonperishable food.

•Check the emergency kits in your vehicle and home. Make sure you have emergency plans for children and pets, and for older relatives who live nearby.

•Follow the directions on holiday lights. Don’t overload outlets or use frayed or damaged lights.

•Keep the Christmas tree watered, and dispose of it as soon as possible. Don’t lean a dead tree against a home. It can become a torch.

•Never leave food cooking unattended. Keep kids out of the kitchen. Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.

•Most safety experts recommend against using turkey fryers. They pose a significant fire risk and should only be used outdoors and with great precaution.

•Don’t forget your smoke alarms and fire escape plans.

•Local Boy Scout troops often recycle Christmas trees as part of an annual fundraiser. Go to http://dryneedles.com to see which troop covers your neighborhood and how to contact them. For more information, call the main Everett office at 425-338-0380.

More in Local News

Suspect sought in two Everett bank robberies

He’s described as 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-1, with dark hair and a goatee, and may have a neck tattoo.

Jogger unharmed after fending off attacker in Edmonds

Police released video of a man they believe to be the attacker.

Two missing men found, one alive and one dead

The man found alive was found in an apartment across the hallway and taken to a hospital.

Darrington School Board dealing with upheavals

The crux of the controversy seems to be the superintendent’s job.

Alaska Airlines has selected destinations for new service from Paine Field. (Alaska Airlines)
Alaska Airlines will fly from Everett to 8 West Coast cities

Two destinations that didn’t make the list were Spokane and Hawaii.

Three teens arrested for Marysville school vandalism

Windows were broken and a trash bin was on fire Sunday night at a Marysville middle school.

Langley mayor threatens newspaper with lawsuit

The mayor threatened to sue the paper over claims he withheld public records disclosure information.

Divers called to recover body after train hits pedestrian

The accident was reported by a BNSF crew near Woods Creek in Monroe.

Katharine Graham, then CEO and chairwoman of the board of The Washington Post Co., looks over a copy of The Daily Herald with Larry Hanson, then The Herald’s publisher, during her visit to Everett on Sept. 20, 1984. The Washington Post Co. owned The Herald from 1978 until 2013. (Herald archives)
A local connection to history

Retired Herald publisher Larry Hanson remembers The Post’s Katharine Graham, who visited several times.

Most Read