By Eric Stevick Herald Writer
EVERETT — His wrists cuffed and chained to his waist, the suspect in a series of assaults was brought before a judge Friday with corrections officers holding him by each of his arms.
The level of caution is rare at bail hearings inside the Snohomish County Jail.
Police and prosecutors considered the man, 23, who has served two prison sentences, to be extremely dangerous.
A judge set bail at $500,000.
Prosecutors allege the recent parolee broke into a home three times during a four-day stretch earlier this week and terrorized his former girlfriend and others. He was arrested for investigation of three counts of assault, burglary, harassment, malicious mischief and interfering with the reporting of a domestic violence complaint.
In asking for a high bail, deputy prosecutor Elise Deschenes said the suspect allegedly told detectives “he has fantasies of covering himself in the family’s blood and eating their flesh.”
“I believe he may kill if he gets out of custody,” she said.
On Sept. 6, the suspect allegedly kicked in the door of a north Everett home where his former girlfriend was staying, put a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her.
Two days later, he allegedly broke into a home where the woman was. Witnesses said he was dressed in black and wore a bandana to cover his face.
One woman said he hit her with a chain before he confronted his former girlfriend in a bedroom. She was armed with pepper spray, which she used to stop the attack, court papers said.
The following day, the suspect allegedly called the woman, who put him on speaker phone for her father and a friend to hear. He allegedly threatened to return to their home with a shotgun and kill everyone.
The man was released from prison July 25. Two weeks later, a warrant was issued for his arrest after he failed to report to his community corrections officer.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446, firstname.lastname@example.org