Boy sentenced to one month in juvenile detention for Everett fire

EVERETT — A 15-year-old boy has been sentenced to a month in juvenile detention for starting an Aug. 6 fire that heavily damaged a family-owned floral shop in Everett.

A judge also ordered the boy to undergo inpatient treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. If he doesn’t complete treatment or breaks any rules, he faces 10 months in juvenile prison.

The boy pleaded guilty Nov. 14 to first-degree reckless burning and second-degree burglary in connection with the fire at Everett Floral on Evergreen Way.

The fast-moving blaze caused about $200,000 in damage to the building, fire officials said. The shop’s owners, Ernie and Cindy Frederickson also are losing out on sales each day the store is closed.

The Fredericksons have received permits from the city to rebuild, but aren’t sure if they can reopen by Valentine’s Day. They have owned the business for about 23 years.

Court documents don’t describe any motive for the fire. Authorities have said they don’t believe the floral shop was targeted for any specific reason.

Under state law, the boy faced up to a month at the Denney Juvenile Justice Center. Prosecutors and a probation officer argued that a standard range sentence would be a manifest injustice and asked the judge to consider a longer sentence.

He “needs some strong motivation to help him complete drug and alcohol treatment successfully,” probation officer Michael Little wrote.

The Herald is not naming the boy because of his age.

An assessment done in September determined that the boy is addicted to alcohol, methamphetamine and marijuana, court papers said. He is a habitual runaway with ties to the Juggalos, a street gang. During the past three years, he has spent 223 days in detention. The boy dropped out of the ninth-grade in September.

Judge Michael Downes last week sentenced the boy to 10 months in juvenile lockdown but agreed to suspend the sentence if the boy completes treatment and follows all the rules established by probation officers.

He is banned from having incendiary devices and spray paint. He also will have a curfew when he’s released from detention and treatment.

Prosecutors alleged that the boy broke into the floral shop, stole spray paint and vandalized a delivery van before setting fire to the shop. He was arrested at his grandmother’s house a few weeks after the fire.

The boy later was released pending the outcome of the case. He was ordered to attend school and treatment. He went to school and treatment for about a week before disappearing, court papers said. He was arrested in October while attempting to break into a woman’s home. Authorities said he told them he was high at the time.

Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463;

More in Local News

A customer walks away after buying a hot dog from a vendor on 33rd St and Smith Street near the Everett Station on Friday. The Everett Station District Alliance pictures the area east of Broadway and south of Hewitt Avenue as a future neighborhood and transit hub that could absorb expected population growth. (Andy Bronson / The Herald)
How can Everett Station become a vibrant part of city?

A neighborhood alliance focused on long-term revitalization will update the public Tuesday.

Man arrested after police find van full of drugs, cash and guns

An officer on patrol noticed a vehicle by itself in the middle of a WinCo parking lot at 2 a.m.

After work to address issues, Lynnwood gets clean audit

The city has benefited from increased revenues from sales tax.

Bolshevik replaces BS in Eyman’s voters pamphlet statement

The initiative promoter also lost a bid to include a hyperlink to online coverage of the battle.

Man with shotgun confronts man on toilet about missing phone

Police say the victim was doing his business when the suspect barged in and threatened him.

Detectives seek suspect in woman’s homicide

Alisha Michelle Canales-McGuire was shot to death Wednesday at a home south of Paine Field.

Car crashes near Everett after State Patrol pursuit

The driver and a second person in the car suffered injuries.

Injured hiker rescued near Granite Falls

Woman fell and hit her head on a rock Saturday, and her condition worsened overnight.

Two teens struck by truck in Lynnwood

The teens, between the ages of 14 and 16, were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

Most Read