Boys may face felony charges for posting Internet photo

EDMONDS — Three teenage boys could face felony charges in connection with the circulation of a sexually explicit photo of a 15-year-old Edmonds girl.

The photo was posted online in late 2012 or early 2013.

School officials heard about the photo a few months ago and called Edmonds police, who launched an investigation.

Detectives now are wrapping up their case.

The young men are suspected of sexual exploitation of a minor, a felony, Edmonds police Sgt. Mark Marsh said.

Police allege that two of the boys, who were 17 and 18 when the incident was reported, were having sex with the girl when one of them took a picture.

The picture was shared with a friend, with instructions to delete it after viewing it, Marsh said. Instead, the friend posted the photo to the Internet.

The photo later was deleted, but “the damage was done,” Marsh said.

“To take a picture of a minor in a compromising sexual manner, and letting that out, is a felony, and the separate (issue) would be the young man who posted the picture on the Internet would be in itself a crime,” he said.

The Herald is not naming the young men because they have not been charged.

All three have cooperated with the investigation, Marsh said.

“We don’t think there’s a risk of any further victims or of them repeating this type of behavior,” Marsh said.

The case will be forwarded to Snohomish County prosecutors for review.

When the incident was reported, two of the young men and the victim attended Edmonds-Woodway High School. The other young man is from Shoreline.

Earlier this year, Edmonds school officials said the alleged incidents took place off school grounds and not during school hours.

They said the district took some “disciplinary actions” but did not elaborate.

Rikki King: 425-339-3449; rking@heraldnet.com

More in Local News

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Signs show the rates for using the express toll lanes for traffic headed southbound on Interstate 405, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016, in Bothell, Wash. Gov. Jay Inslee announced plans Tuesday to try to decrease congestion on I-405 in answer to commuter complaints that the new express lane tolling system is making traffic worse. The governor said he would not be shutting down the tolling system as some people have called for. But the state transportation department is making plans to add new northbound general purpose lanes to ease some of the congestion and also plan to make it easier to move into and out of the express lanes. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)
After a 2-year trial, are I-405’s toll lanes here to stay?

Lawmakers will decide whether to keep them or end the experiment and try something else.

Weary drivers using toll lanes say they have little choice

Congestion continues to be a tedious reality for commuters on I-405, which is as clogged as ever.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Most Read