Brothers on crashed plane in Wyoming presumed dead

CODY, Wyo. — Two elderly brothers aboard a single-engine plane found crashed on a mountain in northwest Wyoming are presumed dead, authorities said Tuesday.

The Park County Sheriff Office says the determination was made after viewing the crash site from the air. The danger of avalanche made it too risky to put people on the rugged, snowy mountain just outside Yellowstone National Park.

“Given the damage to the aircraft as well as the extremely harsh environmental conditions in the area, I think there’s no other conclusion we can make,” Sheriff Scott Steward said in a statement.

The 1963 Mooney M20C was last seen May 6 departing Yellowstone Regional Airport in Cody.

On board were Robert L. Zimmerman, 84, of Huntsville, Alabama, and Ward H. Zimmerman, 86, of Seattle. The plane was reported missing Saturday and was found Monday at about 9,900-foot elevation on a 60-degree slope with a large cornice above it on Howell Mountain, which peaks at 10,964 feet in elevation.

A Wyoming Army National Guard helicopter flew over the crash site Monday evening to evaluate the possibility of winching a crew member down to the plane to determine the condition of the occupants.

However, Park County Search and Rescue Commander Martin Knapp, who accompanied the helicopter crew, determined it was too dangerous to make the attempt.

“After reviewing the conditions at the site of the wreckage and taking into account my years of experience in avalanche evaluation and mitigation, I simply could not in good conscience risk any more lives,” Knapp said.

The brothers were headed from Cody to Twin Falls, Idaho, and then to Seattle. They had planned to fly over Yellowstone after taking off from the Cody airport.

Jim Zimmerman, of Renton, told The Seattle Times that the brothers were both experienced pilots. Jim Zimmerman is the son of Ward Zimmerman, a retired Boeing engineer from Seattle.

Joel Simmons, director of operations of the aviation services company Choice Aviation in Cody, said the brothers flew at a time when he would not have tried to fly because of inclement weather in the area.

“They said they were comfortable with it and would push out of there,” Simmons said. “They were determined to keep moving.”

More in Local News

Man suspected of robbing Rite Aids

Mill Creek police released a sketch Monday evening of the suspect.

Teen charged with murder in shooting over car

A Lynnwood teen has been charged with second-degree murder for… Continue reading

Work begins on Everett housing for homeless, mentally ill

The complex on Berkshire Drive will have 65 apartments and is expected to be complete next year.

Police looking for Lynnwood bank robber

The robber did not flash a weapon to the teller at a U.S. Bank.

Here’s how much property taxes will rise to pay for schools

The owner of a $350,000 home is looking at a property-tax hike of nearly $300 this year.

Everett man accused of causing his baby’s brain damage

He told police he shook his son to get him to stop crying, and the boy slipped out of his hands.

At one point she dropped out; now she’s graduation-bound

Anita Bradford-Diaz has had her share of setbacks, but they only seem to increase her motivation.

Employee threats caused lockdown at Arlington elementary

Arlington Police said all students and staff were.

Residents are helping turn Casino Road in a new direction

An initiative backed by a $700,000 grant goes to the community for solutions to the area’s challenges.

Most Read