By Chris Winters Herald Writer
SNOHOMISH — A brush fire, possibly caused by fireworks, broke out late Friday near Snohomish and was still burning into Saturday afternoon.
Fire officials in Snohomish County Fire District 4 in Snohomish received the first call at 11 p.m, said Battalion Chief Bruce Keaton.
The fire is more an acre in size, Keaton said, and is west of the city, in the lowlands around Ebey Slough near Fobes Road.
Firefighters were not able to access the site, mainly due to inaccessibility.
“We can’t get out there, it’s in the bog,” Keaton said. “It’s a fairly significant nuisance. It’s just going to smolder and burn,” he said.
By Saturday the jurisdiction of the fire was transferred to the state Department of Natural Resources, which is monitoring the fire, Keaton said.
It is suspected that fireworks caused the fire, but that hadn’t been established yet, Keaton said.
Messages to the natural resources department weren’t returned Saturday.
Chris Winters: 425-374-4165; firstname.lastname@example.org.