Burning log sparked fatal Kitsap blaze

  • Tue Nov 20th, 2012 8:42pm
  • News

Associated Press

SUQUAMISH — Fire officials said a fatal house fire in Suquamish likely started when a burning log rolled out of a fireplace, igniting a rug and other combustibles.

North Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda said Monday afternoon’s fire killed a 57-year-old woman.

Investigators with the Kitsap County fire marshal’s office said Tuesday that the home caught fire while the woman was upstairs.

It was unclear whether a smoke alarm in the home was working.

The fire was reported by neighbors and was difficult to extinguish because flames had spread to all three floors of the home.