Burning log sparked fatal Kitsap blaze

SUQUAMISH — Fire officials said a fatal house fire in Suquamish likely started when a burning log rolled out of a fireplace, igniting a rug and other combustibles.

North Kitsap Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Michele Laboda said Monday afternoon’s fire killed a 57-year-old woman.

Investigators with the Kitsap County fire marshal’s office said Tuesday that the home caught fire while the woman was upstairs.

It was unclear whether a smoke alarm in the home was working.

The fire was reported by neighbors and was difficult to extinguish because flames had spread to all three floors of the home.

More in Local News

At long last, a church of his own

After years of filling in elsewhere, Hallack Greider is the new pastor at Maplewood Presbyterian.

Judge: Lawmakers’ emails, texts subject to public disclosure

News organizations had sued to challenge the Legislature’s claim that members were exempt.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Outgoing councilwoman honored by Marysville Fire District

The Marysville Fire District in December honored outgoing City Councilwoman Donna Wright… Continue reading

Everett district relents on eminent domain moving expenses

Homeowners near Bothell still must be out by April to make way for a planned new high school.

Their grown children died, but state law won’t let them sue

Families are seeking a change in the state’s limiting wrongful-death law.

Officials rule train-pedestrian death an accident

The 37-year-old man was trying to move off the tracks when the train hit him, police say.

Number of flu-related deaths in county continues to grow

Statewide, 86 people have died from the flu, most of whom were 65 or older.

Ex-Monroe cop re-arrested after losing sex crime case appeal

He was sentenced to 14 months in prison but was free while trying to get his conviction overturned.

Most Read