Butane leak caused 2-alarm Seattle apartment fire

SEATTLE — The Seattle Fire Department says a leaking canister of butane gas caused a two-alarm fire Wednesday morning in Seattle.

Spokesman Kyle Moore says a man had the canister stored in his refrigerator. The fumes exploded when the refrigerator cycled on. The blast awakened the man who safely escaped along with more than 30 other residents of the four-story building in the Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Moore says six of about two-dozen units in the building are uninhabitable. The Red Cross is helping displaced residents.

Damage is estimated at $300,000.

Moore says the fire was called in to 911 at 5:35 a.m. Arriving firefighters saw a column of black smoke coming from a third-story apartment with flames spreading to units above and below.

More in Local News

Man arrested after police find van full of drugs, cash and guns

An officer on patrol noticed a vehicle by itself in the middle of a WinCo parking lot at 2 a.m.

Jim Mathis, the Vietnam veteran whose Marysville garden was recently featured in The Herald, died Wednesday. Mathis, who suffered from PTSD and cancer, found solace in his beautiful garden. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Vietnam veteran Jim Mathis found peace in his garden

The Marysville man who served two tours died Wednesday after suffering from cancer and PTSD.

Smith Island habitat restoration cost to rise $1.2 million

The project is intended to increase survival rates for juvenile chinook salmon.

Add deputies and bump taxes a bit, executive proposes

Dave Somers’ Snohomish County budget proposal also would address traffic problems in neighborhoods.

County councilman proposes banning safe injection sites

Nate Nehring says county officials also should find “credible, long-term solutions to addiction.”

Car crashes near Everett after State Patrol pursuit

The driver and a second person in the car suffered injuries.

They chose the longshot candidate to fill a vacant seat

Sultan Mayor Carolyn Eslick will serve as representative for the 39th legislative district.

Alien brain? No, a colony of harmless freshwater creatures

Bryozoans are tiny invertebrates that live in jelly-like masses, and their presence is a good thing.

Definitely not Christmas in July for parched young trees

“I live in Washington. I should not have to water a Christmas tree,” says one grower. But they did.

Most Read