Carbon monoxide affects 7 people in Seattle

SEATTLE — A Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman says seven people apparently affected by high carbon monoxide levels at a north Seattle condo building were sent to a hospital, including two men found unconscious.

Lt. Sue Stangl said the seven included a Seattle police officer who helped in the Wednesday evening rescue.

All were sent to Virginia Mason Medical Center, which has a hyperbaric chamber for oxygen therapy. Stangl says only the two men considered critical at the scene showed evidence of significant impairment.

Stangl says a man and woman returning to their condo smelled auto exhaust and knocked at the door of a nearby unit. They finally got into the unit, found two men unconscious and called 911. They helped a responding officer pull one man outside. Firefighters rescued the other.

Fire Department detectors found high levels of carbon monoxide in the six-unit building. Two other residents were also sent for treatment and the building was aired out.

Odorless carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and death. The source of the gas was under investigation.

More in Local News

Young woman missing from Mukilteo found safe

She called her parents and told them she was at a museum in Seattle.

Mom and brother turn in suspect in Stanwood robberies

The man is suspected of robbing the same gas station twice, and apologizing to the clerk afterward.

Derrick “Wiz” Crawford, 22, is a suspect in the homicide of his roommate. (Edmonds Police Department)
Roommate suspected in Edmonds killing found hiding in closet

Police had been searching for him for 10 days before locating him at a house in Everett.

Video shows man suspected of attacking a woman in Edmonds

The man allegedly threw her on the ground, then ran away after the she began kicking and screaming.

Navy to put filter in Coupeville’s contaminated water system

Chemicals from firefighting foam was found in the town’s drinking water.

Officials to test sanity of suspect in Everett crime spree

He allegedly tried to rob and clobber a transit worker, then fled and struggled with police.

Katharine Graham, then CEO and chairwoman of the board of The Washington Post Co., looks over a copy of The Daily Herald with Larry Hanson, then The Herald’s publisher, during her visit to Everett on Sept. 20, 1984. The Washington Post Co. owned The Herald from 1978 until 2013. (Herald archives)
Everett’s brush with Katharine Graham, leader of ‘The Post’

Retired Herald publisher Larry Hanson recalls The Washington Post publisher’s visits.

Former Monroe cop loses appeal on sex crimes conviction

Once a highly respected officer, he was found guilty of secretly videotaping his kids’ babysitter.

Families seek to change wrongful death law

A bill would allow or parents or siblings who wish to pursue a suit for an unmarried, childless adult.

Most Read