SEATTLE — A Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman says seven people apparently affected by high carbon monoxide levels at a north Seattle condo building were sent to a hospital, including two men found unconscious.
Lt. Sue Stangl said the seven included a Seattle police officer who helped in the Wednesday evening rescue.
All were sent to Virginia Mason Medical Center, which has a hyperbaric chamber for oxygen therapy. Stangl says only the two men considered critical at the scene showed evidence of significant impairment.
Stangl says a man and woman returning to their condo smelled auto exhaust and knocked at the door of a nearby unit. They finally got into the unit, found two men unconscious and called 911. They helped a responding officer pull one man outside. Firefighters rescued the other.
Fire Department detectors found high levels of carbon monoxide in the six-unit building. Two other residents were also sent for treatment and the building was aired out.
Odorless carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness and death. The source of the gas was under investigation.