Text by Wikipedia, HistoryLink.org and Herald staff data by U.S. Census Bureau
This is one of a series of looks at Snohomish and Island county communities based on data from the U.S. Census of 2010.
Stanwood is in northwest Snohomish County at the mouth of the old channel of the Stillaguamish River. Most of the town, gateway to Camano Island, is on the river delta. Over the past decade, Stanwood’s population grew by 58.8 percent, in part due to annexations but also new housing above the river’s flood plain.
The original settlement of 1870 was known as Centerville. Early citizen D.O. Pearson established a store and wharf and became postmaster, renaming the village Stanwood — his wife Clara’s maiden name. The area became an agricultural and lumber hub near a Great Northern Railway spur.
The area was long known as the Twin Cities. Stanwood and East Stanwood merged in 1960.
Stanwood population vs. Snohomish County and Washington
|Population change, 2000 to 2010||58.8%||17.7%||14.1%|
|Persons under 5 years||7.4%||6.6%||6.5%|
|Persons under 18 years||28.1%||24.4%||23.5%|
|Persons 65 years and over||15.3%||10.3%||12.3%|
|American Indian and Alaska Native persons||0.8%||1.4%||1.5%|
|Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islanders||0.3%||0.4%||0.6%|
|Persons reporting two or more races||3.9%||4.6%||4.7%|
|Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin||7.0%||9.0%||11.2%|
|White persons not Hispanic||86.1%||74.3%||72.5%|
More about the city of StanwoodAt Wikipedia.org
At the U.S. Census Bureau website
City of Stanwood official website