Could the state have done more to protect Powell boys?

SEATTLE — State authorities can expect tough questions about whether more might have been done to protect the children of a missing Utah woman who were killed along with their father when authorities said he blew up his home Sunday.

Josh Powell was a person of interest in his wife’s disappearance. Why was he allowed to meet with his sons at all? Why weren’t more precautions taken, such as requiring that supervised visits be at a neutral site rather than at his home?

The answer rests largely in that no concrete evidence has emerged publicly linking him with Susan Powell’s disappearance, and Powell was never arrested or charged in the case. Powell had custody of the boys for nearly two years after she vanished, and it was only because his father — with whom he and the boys lived — was arrested in a voyeurism and child pornography case last fall that they were taken out of the home and placed with Susan’s parents.

Sherry Hill, a spokeswoman for the Children’s Administration at the Department of Social and Health Services, said state authorities work closely with courts to determine whether supervised visits should be allowed and whether they should be held at a parent’s home or at a neutral site.

“If there had been any indication of suicidal thoughts, or anything that we would have thought there was an intent to harm the children, we would have taken immediate action,” she said. “If we had thought that, we would have done what we could. I don’t think there’s anything else we could have done.”

And as devastated as Susan’s parents are to have lost her and now her sons, they aren’t critical of how the custody case was handled, said their attorney, Steve Downing.

“They knew that legally he would probably have supervised visitation,” Downing said. “It was their belief he had something to do with Susan’s disappearance, and that ultimately he could harm the children. But they believed the state had listened to them and had taken appropriate measures to protect them. They don’t know what more the state could have done.”

Supervised visits are typically ordered to take place at a neutral site in cases of documented abuse or domestic violence, Downing said. Powell had been having supervised visits with the boys twice a week, three hours at a time, for about four months.

The court ordered a psychological evaluation of Josh Powell last October. After it was completed, the psychologist received information from police in West Valley City, Utah, about undisclosed materials found on his computer during a search in 2009. That material prompted the psychologist to recommend a psycho-sexual evaluation before Powell be given custody or expanded visitation rights.

For his part, Josh Powell had argued in court papers that it was unfair for his children to be removed from his care based on something his father had done. In supervised visits, twice a week for three hours apiece, he demonstrated his love of the boys and his competence as a caregiver, he insisted. He believed that a Child Protective Services investigation completed Nov. 30 clearing him of negligent treatment or maltreatment of his boys should have paved the way for their return home.

“No child wants to be taken from their parents and it is not reasonable to continue this process,” he wrote in a court declaration last Wednesday. “At this point, it is only by bending and breaking the rules that anyone even tries to keep it going.”

The judge disagreed, ordering the psycho-sexual evaluation.

Powell’s attorney, Jeffrey Bassett, said Powell was extremely upset about the decision.

“The last conversation I had with him, we were looking to move forward, to comply with the evaluation and go from there,” Bassett said. “This is a total shock.”

More in Local News

Fatal car crash reported on Highway 92 near Lake Stevens

The 3 p.m. accident and investigation stopped traffic in both directions near Machias Road.

Motorcyclist killed in crash had high level of THC

A motorcyclist had more than eight times the legal limit… Continue reading

Police: Driver threatens pedestrian, ends up in drug bust

Meth, cocaine and heroin were found in his car, along with a loaded pistol and cash, police say.

Son arrested for hitting father on head at Marysville home

The father grabbed a metal rod and struck his son in the head, too. Both needed medical treatment.

Cheering families welcome Kidd, Shoup after 6 months at sea

“I get back Daddy back today,” said one homemade sign at Naval Station Everett.

Paine Field fire chief will be allowed to retire

In his letter, the airport director noted Jeff Bohnet was leaving while under investigation.

Stanwood man, 33, killed in crash near Marysville

Speed may have been a factor, the sheriff’s department said.

County plans to sue to recoup costs from ballot drop-box law

A quarter-million dollars could be spent adding 19 ballot boxes in rural areas.

Mayor tries new tactic to curb fire department overtime

Stephanson says an engine won’t go into service when the only available staff would be on overtime.

Most Read