Denver eatery draws death threats over Romney refusal

DENVER — The owners of a Denver restaurant have gotten death threats and angry phone calls and emails after they say they turned down a campaign visit by Mitt Romney.

Oscar Aguirre, who owns Rosa Linda’s Mexican Cafe with his parents, said the angry messages started within minutes of Westword (bit.ly/VqvAVp) posting a story about their decision Tuesday, the same day that the Republican presidential candidate stopped by a Chipotle Mexican Grill for lunch. Aguirre said some callers mistakenly thought they had refused to serve Romney.

He said Romney, and anyone else, is welcome to dine at the restaurant, a landmark in the now-trendy Highlands neighborhood known for its free Thanksgiving dinner for the needy, but he didn’t want it used as a campaign stop.

“We didn’t want to be in this controversy. Mitt Romney can come in tomorrow and have lunch with us,” he said Friday, noting that Romney staffers have eaten there several times.

The restaurant also got attention for turning down a visit from George Bush when he was running for the presidency in 1999. Aguirre said he was a registered Republican then. He’s since switched to a Democrat but said he doesn’t always vote with the party and wore a purple shirt for the debate.

A Romney campaign spokesman told The Denver Post (bit.ly/R3kjGq) it only asked the restaurant to join the campaign and host occasional events and regrets the anger being directed the owners

Aguirre first announced his decision in August on Facebook, saying that Romney supporters asked them to host a campaign stop partly because the restaurant owner’s parents are Mormon, as is the candidate. He did wade into politics, noting that his mother thought they were better off under Bill Clinton, but thanked the Romney campaign for thinking of them.

Aguirre posted an apology and explanation on Facebook this week and, since then, he said calls of support have been outpacing the angry ones. He said customers he hasn’t seen in years have returned and a woman from Ireland offered to donate $25 to the Thanksgiving dinner.

More in Local News

Families begin relocating from public housing complex

Baker Heights is in need of repairs deemed to costly to make, and will be demolished and replaced.

Trail work by juvenile offenders builds resumes, confidence

Kayak Point trails were built out this year by groups from Denney Juvenile Justice Center.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Distress beacon leads rescuers to Pacific Crest Trail hikers

Two men in their 20s had encountered snow and waited two nights for a helicopter rescue.

Volunteers clean up homeless camp infested with garbage

The organization’s founder used to live and do drugs in the same woods.

Everett mayoral campaign is one of the priciest ever

Many campaign donors are giving to both Cassie Franklin and Judy Tuohy.

Arrests made in robbery-turned fatal Everett shooting

A man, 24, and woman, 18, were found at a hotel in Seattle.

Boeing marks the start of 777X production at Paine Field

It took tax breaks and union concessions to land assembly of the company’s new jetliner in Everett.

3 fire departments seek levies to support emergency services

District 25 in Oso is hoping to pass its first fire levy in 22 years.

Most Read