Dog alerts owner of fire; 2 escape Monroe blaze

MONROE — Sometimes dogs really are man’s best friend.

On Saturday, a dog at a Monroe home woke its owner in time for her to escape a house fire in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue SE.

The woman roused another person at the home, Monroe Fire District fire marshal Michael Fitzgerald said.

Both escaped uninjured with their dogs.

Fire investigators determined the fire began at the Christmas tree, Fitzgerald said.

Damage was estimated at $85,000.

“This is a great time to remind people to ensure that holiday lighting should be unplugged before going to bed,” Fitzgerald said. “Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday.”

Fitzgerald also said people should make sure not to wind or tie an electrical cord around itself.

A total of 19 firefighters from Monroe, Sultan and Maltby battled the blaze.

The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the people with temporary housing and clothing.

More in Local News

Second teen charged after $1 million in school vandalism

Two teens now face felony charges for damage at two schools in Darrington last summer.

This dental office devoted a day to free care for veterans

All Smiles Northwest in Everett was among businesses observing Freedom Day USA.

A potentially transformative council election in Snohomish

As the city adopts a new form of government, many new faces are seeking office.

Majority of Marysville City Council seats are contested

The most closely watched race is between Mark James and Donna Wright.

1 shot dead, another wounded in apparent Everett robbery

There are indications the victims might have known the shooter, who apparently fled in a vehicle.

Mill Creek hires Gina Hortillosa as public works director

Hortillosa will be responsible for creating strategic infrastructure plans to promote economic growth.

Inclusion super important to Monroe High senior

Sarah Reeves worked to make homecoming more representative of the student population.

500 tires go up in flames at a store south of Everett

There were no injuries. And it was nowhere near as bad as that months-long tire fire in 1984.

Most Read