Dog shocked, nearly killed by faulty Mountlake Terrace light pole

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE — A man performed CPR on his dog about a week ago after the pooch was nearly killed by an electric shock after sniffing a city light pole.

The dog survived, but the city checked nearby poles to see if any others have the same issue. It’s similar to a problem in 2010, when a dog was electrocuted in Seattle while walking on an electrically charged power plate in a sidewalk.

The incident here was disturbing and the city is treating it seriously, said Curt Brees, the city’s Public Works director.

“We have no reason to believe there is a danger in the city,” Brees said.

The man was walking his dog Jan. 6 in the 4700 block of 240th Street SW when the accident occurred, according to the police department. He called police, and crews from Public Works and the Snohomish County Public Utility District arrived to disconnect power to the aluminum light pole.

The shock was caused by a grounding wire feeding power to the pole.

“We’re investigating how it came to be, but basically it was a wiring error,” Brees said.

The pole was installed in 2004 by the PUD and is owned and operated by the city. Sometimes when different agencies play a role in installing and operating a light pole, errors occur, Brees said.

City officials are considering a testing program to catch such errors.

It’s unclear if anyone worked on the pole after it was installed, which could have led to the error, said Neil Neroutsos, a PUD spokesman.

“We’re focused on the issue and resolving it,” he said.

The man’s wife, contacted by phone, said neither she nor her husband wanted to talk about what happened to their dog.

The incident prompted city and PUD officials to test 16 light poles in the area. They didn’t find hazards, Neurostos said.

PUD staff have inspected more than 1,000 steel and concrete poles in their service area within the past 18 months in search of unusual voltage.

“There were very few minor problems,” Neroutsos said.

After the Seattle dog was electrocuted, Seattle City Light identified 158 light poles with potentially dangerous wiring problems, according to The Associated Press.

More in Local News

A close friendship is lost to fire

An 88-year-old Smokey Point mobile home resident died despite a valiant effort by neighbors.

Jensen Webster sorts through food stuffs at the Sultan High School in Sultan on March 14, 2018. (Kevin Clark / The Daily Herald)
Sultan school children take charge to help their peers

The Sky Valley Youth Coalition has installed pantries at schools so kids can take food home.

Everett woman found dead identified as 21-year-old

There were no obvious signs of trauma on the body of Brianna Leigh Nyer.

Ivar’s in Mukilteo closes for disinfection after illnesses

The Snohomish Health District said it’s not certain what caused some patrons to get sick.

State will spend millions on task forces and reports

Here are eight undertakings that will incite possible action by lawmakers in the future.

Everett man admits deadly slashing of 2 Maltby-area women

John Dimitri Kuljis Jr. pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

State: Secret deal endangers Marysville Strawberry Festival

The “bizarre” agreement promises a former leader up to $175,000 if the group fails to meet his demands.

Again, students here join nationwide protests over shootings

Friday’s marches and walkouts marked the 19th anniversary of the shootings at Columbine in Colorado.

Two-day event will offer free medical and dental services

The Amen Everett Free Clinic is expected to serve 400 to 500 patients Friday and Sunday.

Most Read