E-cig batteries can cause fires, fire marshal in Oregon warns

  • Mon Mar 3rd, 2014 12:47pm
  • News

Associated Press

MEDFORD, Ore. — Medford authorities say the lithium batteries that power the vaporizers in electronic cigarettes have caused two fires recently in Medford when they overheated during charging.

Fire Marshal Greg Kleinberg says one caused a mattress to catch fire, while the other exploded and sent bits of burning battery into the ceiling and walls.

Kleinberg tells the Mail Tribune that nobody got hurt, but either fire could have gotten out of hand, with serious consequences.

He said the devices aren’t strictly regulated, and not all have been tested by nationally recognized laboratories.

Kleinberg said people who use the battery-powered devices should unplug them before going to bed be sure to have a working smoke alarm.

———

Information from: Mail Tribune, http://www.mailtribune.com/