Egyptian court puts off decision on constitution

CAIRO – Egypt’s highest court Sunday indefinitely postponed a highly anticipated ruling on whether the assembly that drafted a new constitution was legal, leaving the nation’s upcoming referendum on the constitution in a state of uncertainty and putting off for now a direct confrontation with President Mohammed Morsi over his claim of judicial immunity.

The judges of the Supreme Constitutional Court said they could not convene because pro-Morsi demonstrators gathered in front of the court’s building had threatened them and blocked their entry. The public, however, was able to enter the building. The court did not explain why it could not have ruled on the case somewhere else. In a statement, the judges said they had to suspend their session because to go on would subject them to “psychological or physical pressure.”

The court’s session had been widely anticipated as a showdown between Morsi and the country’s judges over Morsi’s declaration this month that the judiciary had no power to rule on his decrees. Since then, the judiciary and Morsi have engaged in a game of chicken over who decides legal matters that has divided the government and the nation.

On Sunday, Ahmed El Zind, president of Egypt’s Judge’s Club, which represents a large group of judges nationwide, announced that its members would not conduct the referendum, now scheduled for Dec. 15.

Opposed to Morsi’s decree are judges, many of whom went on strike, and secular, liberal and Christian politicians and their supporters, who have gathered by the tens of thousands in Cairo’s Tahrir Square to protest.

On the other side is the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist group through which Morsi rose to prominence. On Saturday, the Brotherhood turned out hundreds of thousands of demonstrators in support of Morsi. The demonstrators outside the court building Sunday also were Brotherhood sympathizers.

The court was supposed to rule on whether the Brotherhood-dominated constitutional assembly, which drafted the proposed constitution, was legal. The court this year ordered the dissolution of the Parliament that had named the assembly. Had the court ruled that the assembly was illegal, it would have invalidated the proposed constitution, canceled the Dec. 15 referendum Morsi scheduled Saturday on the document, and forced Morsi to name a new assembly.

Supporters justify Morsi’s declaration as the only way to protect drafting of the constitution from undue influence from holdovers of deposed President Hosni Muabrak, who appointed all the court’s members.

Had the court ruled against Morsi, it was unclear how its order would have been enforced. The country’s military, which was instrumental in pushing Mubarak from power, has shown no interest in involving itself in the current standoff.

With no ruling and no sense of when it could rule, Egyptians are uncertain about whether the scheduled Dec. 15 constitutional referendum will happen and whether enough judges will end their strike to conduct it.

In a statement explaining its decision not to rule, the court called what had taken place “a black day in the history of the Egyptian judiciary.” Tahany El Gibaly, the court’s vice president, said the police did not protect the judges from Morsi supporters, some of whom threatened to assassinate the judges, according an article posted on the state television website. El Gibaly also called the court’s inability to rule the beginning of terrorism, the website reported.

“As judges approached the court in the morning, they found protesters surrounding the building, blocking its gates, climbing its fence and chanting anti-judge slogans inciting people against (the judges). Judges couldn’t access the court, as this would have endangered them due to the unstable security condition,” the court’s statement said. “The Supreme Constitutional Court’s judges have no choice other than declaring their inability to perform their sacred duties in such an atmosphere full of hatred and the desire for revenge; hence the judges announce (the) suspending the court sessions until they are able to resume their message and review lawsuits filed to the court without being exposed to any psychological or physical pressure.”

Opponents vowed to keep speaking against Morsi’s declaration and the upcoming constitutional referendum. They scheduled a march to the presidential palace for Tuesday, and several news organizations said they would not publish or broadcast Tuesday as a form of protest.

More in Local News

State: Secret deal endangers Marysville Strawberry Festival

The “bizarre” agreement promises a former leader up to $175,000 if the group fails to meet his demands.

Former jail guards sentenced in dehydration death of inmate

During a mental health crisis in 2015, Keaton Farris, 25, wasted away in the Island County Jail.

County Council grills Sound Transit CEO about long timeline

West Seattle and Ballard light-rail extensions will be completed before the main spine to Everett.

‘We don’t know why he left’: Teen has been missing for 2 years

Interest in the case of Tyler Christensen, of the Edmonds area, has recently surged on the internet.

Talks to begin on emergency radio system contract

Motorola Solutions Inc. has been chosen to build a replacement for the current 911 radio system.

Mountlake Terrace woman in coma after random, vicious attack

The suspect allegedly confessed, saying he had no explanation for his actions.

Traffic circles going in on Second Street in Marysville

The work follows complaints from residents about people driving too fast down the street.

Swift Bus and van collide in Everett, injuring 2

Their injuries were described as minor.

Mill Creek man gets 16 years for stabbing wife to death

It was the culmination of a marriage marred by violence, separation and reconciliation, records show.

Most Read