Ericks in as marshal and out as a lawmaker

  • Jerry Cornfield
  • Monday, September 13, 2010 5:08pm
  • Local News

Mark Ericks resigned from the state Legislature last week and began his new job today as U.S. Marshal for the Western District of Washington.

Ericks, a former police chief in Bothell, was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on Aug. 5 and sent a letter of resignation to Gov. Chris Gregoire five days later. His last day as a lawmaker was Sept. 7.

“It has been an honor and privilege to serve the people of the 1st Legislative District, and the State of Washington, during my six years in the Legislature. I look forward to continuing to serve the citizens of our State in my new role as i begin my 40th year of public service,” he wrote in the letter.

Ericks was first elected in 2004 and won two additional terms. He served as the vice chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee and the House Finance Committee.

After getting nominated for the marshal’s job in 2009, he chose not to seek re-election in anticipation of getting the new job. As a result, his seat will be unfilled until his term expires at the end of this year.

Democrat Luis Moscoso and Republican Heidi Munson are competing in the November election to succeed Ericks in 2011.

More in Local News

At long last, a church of his own

After years of filling in elsewhere, Hallack Greider is the new pastor at Maplewood Presbyterian.

Judge: Lawmakers’ emails, texts subject to public disclosure

News organizations had sued to challenge the Legislature’s claim that members were exempt.

Number of flu-related deaths in county continues to grow

Statewide, 86 people have died from the flu, most of whom were 65 or older.

Outgoing councilwoman honored by Marysville Fire District

The Marysville Fire District in December honored outgoing City Councilwoman Donna Wright… Continue reading

Everett district relents on eminent domain moving expenses

Homeowners near Bothell still must be out by April to make way for a planned new high school.

Their grown children died, but state law won’t let them sue

Families are seeking a change in the state’s limiting wrongful-death law.

Officials rule train-pedestrian death an accident

The 37-year-old man was trying to move off the tracks when the train hit him, police say.

Ex-Monroe cop re-arrested after losing sex crime case appeal

He was sentenced to 14 months in prison but was free while trying to get his conviction overturned.

Marysville hit-and-run leaves man with broken bones

The state patrol has asked for help solving an increasing number of hit-and-run cases in the state.

Most Read