EVERETT — The students gave loose change from their pockets.
Teachers and staff pooled money. Neighbors brought clothes, shoes and diapers.
A family from the Casino Road neighborhood was hurting, and those around them did everything they could to help.
Rubi Delgado-Brito and her eight children were the victims of the June 8 accidental fire at the Candlewood Apartments. They lost their home, and everything inside.
The oldest child, Alan, 12, attends Explorer Middle School. Almost overnight, the school became the place for people wanting to donate to the family, counselor Teresa Hoffman said.
“There’s overwhelming support from the community,” school office staffer Kris Manning said. “People here want to take care of people.”
The school is keeping the donated items until the family finds another place to live. They are staying with relatives in Lake Stevens. Local churches and the American Red Cross also have provided assistance. “I’m thankful for all the help, and to all the people,” Delgado-Brito said.
Many of the children who attend Explorer live along Casino Road, teacher Erinn Hubbard said. Many saw the fire, and were devastated.
To help, they also made cards and arts and crafts for Alan, his mother and his siblings.
“He’s part of our seventh-grade family,” Hubbard said. “I said, ‘Let’s just talk to all of our kids and see what we can do.’”
How to help
People interested in helping the victims of the June 8 fire at the Candlewood Apartments along Casino Road can contact Explorer Middle School, 425-356-1240. The family is not asking for additional donated items at this time because they don’t have a place to store them other than the school.