SULTAN — A man suffered burns to the upper half of his body Tuesday morning when a propane tank exploded and burned a trailer southwest of Sultan.
A medical helicopter flew the man to Harborview Medical Center, Sultan Fire Chief Merlin Halverson said. He looked to be in his 40s.
Explosions and a spreading fire were reported around 5:45 a.m. at a kind of camp — tents, blue tarps, debris, two travel trailers — across the street from a home in the 28000 block of 176th Place SE.
More exploding propane bottles made the fire a challenge to battle, Halverson said. One trailer burned. A second was damaged by heat. Fire crews focused on keeping the flames from spreading farther, and they were helped by wet brush and trees.
A woman who was staying at the site wasn’t hurt. The Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s Office was investigating what led to the fire.