Families of 2 slain Lakewood officers get $5M each

TACOMA — The state of Washington has agreed to pay $5 million apiece to the families of two of the Lakewood police officers slain by Maurice Clemmons at a coffee shop in 2009.

Officers Mark Renniger and Gregory Richards were among four officers slain as they prepared to head out on patrol that Sunday morning. A lawyer for their families, Jack Connelly, said a Pierce County Superior Court judge approved the settlements Friday morning.

The Department of Corrections had a warrant out of Arkansas that could have been used to detain Clemmons. Instead, he was allowed to post bail on child rape charges and killed the officers six days later.

Clemmons was killed by a patrol officer in Seattle after a two-day manhunt.

The family of one of the other officers previously settled claims for $2.5 million.

More in Local News

Inslee’s budget solves school funding with help from carbon

His budget would use reserves to boost education, then replenish them with a carbon tax or fee.

Man, 29, injured by shots fired at Everett thrift store

The gunfire followed an argument in the parking lot of Value Village on Evergreen Way.

Police: He made an appointment, then tried to rob the bank

A lawyer is accused of donning a fake beard and telling a teller that a gunman was outside.

Lynnwood robbery leads to lockdown at Edmonds schools

Edmonds police said it was just a precaution as they search around Edmonds-Woodway High School.

Marysville 7-Eleven hit by armed robbers

Officers set up a perimeter and brought in a police dog, but the man couldn’t be found.

In adult court, four teens plead not guilty to murder

Prosecutors allege they worked together to plan and execute a drug robbery in Everett.

2 women struck, injured while crossing busy roads

The first happened Wednesday night in Everett. The second was Thursday morning in Edmonds.

Lives were on the line

After an estimated 350K emergency calls over 35 years, dispatcher Steve Williams is set to retire.

Drive-by shooting reported in Marysville neighborhood

Police said there was no evidence to indicate it was targeted at a specific person or property.

Most Read