Family escapes fire at Lake Stevens home

  • Wed Jun 6th, 2012 4:55pm
  • News

Herald staff

LAKE STEVENS — A family safely escaped a house fire in Lake Stevens early Wednesday morning.

The fire broke out about 12:40 a.m. in the 11300 block of 21st Place NE, just south of Lake Stevens High School, deputy fire chief Larry Huff said.

Two children were asleep at the time. The homeowner smelled smoke and got everyone out, Huff said.

Investigators determined that the fire started in a fireplace ventilation pipe, Huff said. It spread into the second story and parts of the roof and attic.

Damage was estimated at $50,000. Crews from Marysville and Getchell also responded.