WENATCHEE — Investigators say a fatal fire at a Wenatchee apartment building Thursday night was caused by smoking.
Fire Chief Stan Smoke said smoking materials were found where the fire started in the living room of sixth-floor unit of the 10-story Cascadian Apartments.
The Wenatchee World reported that the fire killed 67-year-old Patricia Brizzee.
Chief Smoke said firefighters have long been worried about fires at the Cascadian because the housing for low-income older and disabled residents does not have a central sprinkler system. Apartment managers banned smoking in the building last April because of the fire danger.
The fire caused an about $20,000 damage to the apartment with some smoke damage to the hallway.