Fire at Edmonds hospital confined to mechanical room

EDMONDS — A fire that created havoc at Swedish/Edmonds Hospital Thursday evening was caused by an electrical problem in a subbasement mechanical room, officials said.

Nobody was injured in the 7:10 p.m. incident, but about a dozen patients were moved to other hospitals as smoke moved up a stairwell and into parts of the building, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.

Firefighters were already at the hospital when the problem was discovered.

“When the call came in, we had firefighters at the hospital who were just getting ready to leave after transporting patients. They immediately went to investigate and located a fire in an electrical room in a subbasement,” Hynes said.

Because of the potential for risk, the fire went to three alarms, summoning extra help. Crews from Fire District 1, Shoreline and Lynnwood responded. The flames were under control within about 30 minutes, Hynes said.

The subbasement where the fire began is located three levels below the hospital’s ground floor. It received the brunt of the damage. However, smoke drifted to areas where some of the estimated 120 patients at the hospital were being treated. Power also was knocked out to parts of the hospital. Most areas continued operation using emergency generators, and the majority of patients remained in their rooms, Hynes said.

A total of 11 patients were transferred by ambulance to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. Swedish/Ballard also received one patient who was going into labor, Hynes said.

More in Local News

A Democrat and ex-Republican team up to end two-party politics

Brian Baird and Chris Vance unveil a new organization called Washington Independents.

The beavers weren’t happy, either, about Mill Creek flooding

A tree fell on their dam, sending a rush of water into a neighborhood near Jackson High School.

Aerospace workers adjust to changing industry

The number of Boeing workers dropped almost 10 percent since last year

Lynnwood, Marysville, Sultan consider ban on safe injection sites

If approved, they would join Lake Stevens and Snohomish County, which have temporary bans.

Mill Creek councilman no longer lives in city, panel finds

The Canvassing Board determined Sean Kelly is not eligible to vote there.

A whole life ahead. Five-month-old Felix Shope lies in his stroller ready to go home from the Snohomish County Courthouse with his new mom and dad, Alicia and Josh Shope of Edmonds. A family down the hall tends to a child and are likely awaiting their own adoption proceedings. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
16 youngsters get the gift of home on National Adoption Day

A joyful day at county courthouse tempered with the great need for stable, loving homes.

Single fingerprint on robbery note leads to arrest

The holdup occurred at a U.S. Bank branch in Lynnwood in August.

City Council OKs initial funding for Smith Avenue parking lot

The site of the former Smith Street Mill is being developed in anticipation of light rail.

Stranger offered candy to student walking home from school

The Granite Falls School District is warning families about… Continue reading

Most Read