Fire at Edmonds hospital confined to mechanical room

EDMONDS — A fire that created havoc at Swedish/Edmonds Hospital Thursday evening was caused by an electrical problem in a subbasement mechanical room, officials said.

Nobody was injured in the 7:10 p.m. incident, but about a dozen patients were moved to other hospitals as smoke moved up a stairwell and into parts of the building, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.

Firefighters were already at the hospital when the problem was discovered.

“When the call came in, we had firefighters at the hospital who were just getting ready to leave after transporting patients. They immediately went to investigate and located a fire in an electrical room in a subbasement,” Hynes said.

Because of the potential for risk, the fire went to three alarms, summoning extra help. Crews from Fire District 1, Shoreline and Lynnwood responded. The flames were under control within about 30 minutes, Hynes said.

The subbasement where the fire began is located three levels below the hospital’s ground floor. It received the brunt of the damage. However, smoke drifted to areas where some of the estimated 120 patients at the hospital were being treated. Power also was knocked out to parts of the hospital. Most areas continued operation using emergency generators, and the majority of patients remained in their rooms, Hynes said.

A total of 11 patients were transferred by ambulance to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. Swedish/Ballard also received one patient who was going into labor, Hynes said.

More in Local News

These little piggies stay home

Norman, who was spotted last week in Everett, is part of a trio kept as pets by the “pig whisperer.”

Cheering families welcome Kidd, Shoup after 6 months at sea

“I get back Daddy back today,” said one homemade sign at Naval Station Everett.

Stanwood man, 33, killed in crash near Marysville

Speed may have been a factor, the sheriff’s department said.

Street-legal ATVs approved for some roads near Sultan

Supporters foresee tourism benefits. Opponents are concerned about injury and pollution risks.

Jamie Copeland is a senior at Cedar Park Christian Schools’ Mountlake Terrace campus. She is a basketball player, ASB president, cheerleader and, of course, a Lion. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
Cedar Park Christian senior stepping up to new challenges

Jamie Copeland’s academics include STEM studies, leadership, ASB activities, honor society.

Woman, 47, found dead in Marysville jail cell

She’d been in custody about four days after being arrested on warrants, police said.

County plans to sue to recoup costs from ballot drop-box law

A quarter-million dollars could be spent adding 19 ballot boxes in rural areas.

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s top images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

Mukilteo Police Chief Cheol Kang is known for his people skills

The city’s top cop’s calm demeanor and holistic approach earns him the nickname “Yoda.”

Most Read