TACOMA — A smoky, early morning fire at a Tacoma, Wash., assisted living center sent 12 people to a hospital for treatment and destroyed an area housing the kitchen, dining room and activity room.
The fire broke out about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday at the seven-story Life Manor Retirement Community.
The News Tribune reported that firefighters say a heavy metal fire door prevented flames from entering the residence hall.
Still, smoke filled the hallways of the building where more than 140 senior citizens live.
Firefighters called in a second alarm because more people were needed to help evacuate all the residents.
Fire Department spokesman Joe Meinecke says investigators believe the fire started near the dining room and activity room and was caused by electrical problems.