Fire causes $90,000 in damage to Edmonds home

EDMONDS — No one was injured in a fire that caused more than $90,000 in damage to an Edmonds home Wednesday afternoon.

Dispatchers received multiple 911 calls around 1:50 p.m. reporting smoke and flames coming from a two-story house at the end of a long driveway in the 8700 block of 236th Street SW.

“Flames were visible in a window above the garage and smoke was coming from the roof when firefighters arrived,” Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and kept the flames contained to two rooms on the upper level of the home.

Fire and heavy smoke damage on the second floor left the house uninhabitable, Hynes said.

The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the homeowner, a man in his 60s. He does not have insurance.

Fire investigators determined the fire was started accidentally by misplaced smoking materials in a room above the garage.

View Fire, 4-10-13 in a larger map

More in Local News

Herald photos of the week

A weekly collection of The Herald’s best images by staff photographers and… Continue reading

This week’s Herald Super Kid is Nathan Nicholson of Snohomish High School. (Dan Bates / The Herald)
‘The future is biotech,’ but for now he’s busy with everything

Snohomish senior Nathan Nicholson is a student leader and media master.

Longboarders from near and far hit the trail in Arlington

The Centennial Sk8 Festival was serious competition for some and just for fun for others.

Council passes six-month moratorium on safe injection sites

Proposal by County Councilman Nate Nehring passed unanimously.

Terrace woman held following collision in Everett

The three occupants in vehicle were transported to a local hospital in serious condition.

Information sought on drive-by shooting in Everett

Debris from an apparent crash, evidence of gunfire found in the 2800 block of California Street.

Crews recover body of man who fell over Wallace Falls

The area where the man fell is called Sky Valley Lookout, 2.4 miles from the parking lot.

Big fire destroys building on Broadway in Everett

A person was rescued, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.

Luring attempt reported in Mountlake Terrace

The driver allegedly instructed a boy to get in the truck and help grab a scooter he was giving away.

Most Read