Fire destroys 6 Silverdale businesses

  • Mon Jan 9th, 2012 8:17am
  • News

Associated Press

SILVERDALE — A fire that destroyed a building with six businesses in Silverdale apparently started with an exploding light in a tanning bed.

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue says the fire spread rapidly Sunday afternoon through the building, which had no sprinklers.

The Kitsap Sun reports a customer, 15-year-old Payton Herdman, was in a bed at Desert Sun Tanning Salon when she heard a loud pop and saw a light bulb on fire. She warned staffers, but by the time they got there the room was in flames.

Everyone got out safely. A firefighter suffered a cut hand.

In addition to the tanning salon the fire burned a coffee shop and businesses that sold cigars, hearing aids, holiday cruises and beauty supplies.