Fire destroys Colville Reservation longhouse

  • Thu Dec 27th, 2012 7:37pm
  • News

Associated Press

NESPELEM — Tribal regalia used in religious and cultural celebrations were lost in the fire early Wednesday that destroyed the Chief Joseph Nez Perce Longhouse on the Colville Reservation at Nespelem.

The tribe said an electrical malfunction apparently started the fire. Flames were too intense for firefighters to enter the building.

No one was injured.

The tribal chairman, John Sirois, told The Spokesman-Review that the building was a spiritual and cultural center. It also used for meeting and events.

Tribal historians are working to identify items that were lost.