Fire destroys Lake Stevens home

  • Fri Apr 9th, 2010 11:13pm
  • News

By Jackson Holtz Herald Writer

LAKE STEVENS — It took more than 40 firefighters to battle a fast-moving two-alarm blaze that destroyed a lakeside home Friday.

The blaze started just after noon and quickly engulfed the two-story home in the 11900 block of N. Lakeshore Road, Lake Stevens Fire Battalion Chief Perry Putnam said.

One of the men who lived in the home was working in the garage and some gasoline spilled, Putnam said. The flammable vapors ignited and the fire took hold.

No one was hurt.

Fire crews raced to the home just eight blocks from the nearest station. Flames were burning from 75 percent of the home when crews arrived, a mere three minutes after being dispatched, Putnam said.

“It all ignited and quickly spread to the house,” he said.

Investigators believe that kerosene and ammunition in the garage and a cedar deck helped the fire to move quickly.

Crews from five neighboring fire districts were called to prevent the fire from spreading to other homes in the densely developed area on the north end of the lake.

Dozens of people watched as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.

An estimate of the damage caused by the fire was not immediately available.

The Snohomish County chapter of the Red Cross responded to provide help to the displaced family of four.

Jackson Holtz: 425-339-3437, jholtz@heraldnet.com.